_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Some Questions
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 11:16 PM UTC
I've just had a self-imposed sabbatical from all things in scale and sytrene for the last fair few months.

Now, i'm back and have started building again. While i'm going to predominantly build armor, there are more than a few aviation subjects which do appeal to me.

However, before that, I need to sort out a couple of things - the first of these is paint. I want to continue to work with acrylics and since my main inspiration is WWII and Post-War British aviation, what Brand can you recommend which is well-matched colorwise?

Onto specifics. Regarding scale, 1/48th. Subject matter: I have a real desire to build a Quarter-Scale Fairey Gannet. Anyone do one? Any pointers on reference material?

I've no problems buying some update material (where necessary) but I would prefer to go for higher-end models which are closer to OOB.

All and any suggestions welcome! Thanks!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
I'm not aware of the Fairey Gannet having been done in 1/48; I don't think so. There are 1/72 available from Revell and Trumpeter, as well as resin kits from others.
As far as paint goes, Tamiya is my mainstay and is very popular with others. I believe it is alcohol based.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Ben, thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for an acrylic paint range which is color-matched (like Xtracolor) which deals with those useful FS colors and their British equivalents. Tamiya is not a paint range that I like (I use it, but don't like it).
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
If your objection to Tamiya is strictly due to the color matching issues, you may want to try GSI/Creos Mr. Hobby (formerly Gunze Sangyo Aqueous). I have not used it personally (difficult to aquire in the US), but it is reputed to have the quality and ease of use of Tamiya without the headaches of needing to be mixed to achieve correct colors.

I use some Tamiya myself when I want acrylics, or Vallejo Model Air which I have found to be excellent quality and easy to color match. Vallejo might be a good option for you, they have a huge range of colors and pre-made sets to choose from. Edit: just one thing about Vallejo, I have had bad experiences using anything to thin it other than their custom thinner medium. If I use their medium, it gives excellent results when airbrushed.

I avoid Model Master Acryl like the plague, I have never once used it without having some issues masking it. I love their enamels though, they are great but obviously not acrylics.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ben, thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for an acrylic paint range which is color-matched (like Xtracolor) which deals with those useful FS colors and their British equivalents. Tamiya is not a paint range that I like (I use it, but don't like it).

Hi Jim

If you like Xtracolor, have you tried Xtracrylix? They are among my favourite acrylic paints: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/526

As regards a 1:48 Gannet. Dynavector did a vacuform years ago, and Classic Airframes released a short-run injected kit. You can probably find them if you hunt around. Warpaint and 4+ Publications do books on the Gannet.

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 03:15 AM UTC
The Dynavector Gannet is listed as being still available, although Taro san is out of decals for it.
Nito74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
AeroScale: 635 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 03:24 AM UTC
I hope this helps Jim

Fairey Gannet
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC
Yep, guess who posted the News report on Xtracrylix Paints? Dohhhh!!!!

They don't seem to have expanded their range though to include WWII colors.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Jim

They started with WW2 - they're the ones I reviewed.

All the best

Rowan
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 12:07 PM UTC
Xtracrylix also do armor colors

However, that apart, @ Jessica, John - thanks for the heads-ups/links. Much appreciated.

Now, did I see, or am I dreaming, a Sea Vixen in 48th?

Don't suppose anyone has improved on the Airficx Buccaneers?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 02:30 PM UTC
You see a 1/48 Sea Vixen all right, but don't forget the still nearly shiny new Airfix kit as well.

For bricks, your choices are Airfix, Airfix or Airfix. It's not a bad kit with a little "Some modelling skills required" added.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
I've got a couple of the Airfix Buccaneers in the stash (I got them real cheap a few years ago) - pure damned nostalgia really. As a kid, we used to spend summer holidays in the NE of Scotland, right next to RAF Lossiemouth (then it was RNAS Lossiemouth) and I spent many a happy hour watching Sea Vixens, Buccs and Gannets.

Up the road was RAF Kinloss which had Shackletons.

So, in my case at least, that's where the madness began.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi Jim

If your after some inspiration for the Buccaneer check out my build log from a few of years ago.

Buccaneer S2D
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim

If your after some inspiration for the Buccaneer check out my build log from a few of years ago.

Buccaneer S2D

Thanks! Dunno whether it's worth the effort though!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Dynavector Gannet is listed as being still available, although Taro san is out of decals for it.

Hi Jessie

Thanks for that link - I didn't realise Dynavector were still in production. I'm seriously tempted to get the Supermarine Scimitar and Douglas Skyshark - real classics among vacuforms, and ones which I missed when they were fist released. It's great to see they're still available.

All the best

Rowan
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that link - I didn't realise Dynavector were still in production. I'm seriously tempted to get the Supermarine Scimitar and Douglas Skyshark - real classics among vacuforms, and ones which I missed when they were fist released. It's great to see they're still available.

All the best

Rowan

I'm not sure they are. I've heard that the website is effectively a ghost, and there's no stock left and no more being produced. Check when it was last updated.

If you want a Classic Airframes Gannet, start saving now. The last one I saw went for around a ton. And no, you can't have mine (my preciousss)!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure they are. I've heard that the website is effectively a ghost, and there's no stock left and no more being produced. Check when it was last updated.

Oh, pity. If that's the case I'm going to stop pointing it out
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Sean

I'll drop them a line - it would be cool to get one of those beauties while the going's (maybe) good!

All the best

Rowan
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:51 PM UTC
I have decided. My re-entry into the world of wingy things will be (drumroll) the Airfix Seafire in 1/48th. I've built enough Spits over the years to be (broadly) familiar with beast. I'll get what I need in Xtracrylix and keep any AM to the mínimum. OOB essentially. Unless of course anyona advises me differently?

Now, Referemce. Do Warpaint do the Seafire in their books?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:03 AM UTC
Jim,
As far as paints go, I'm a big time Tamiya Acrylic fan. Mixing colors isn't that hard. I purchased some of their 10ml mixing bottles, and pre-mix full bottles of the paints I'll need for several builds. There are several excellent resources for FS# colors for Tamiya, Humbrol, Model Master, Vallejo, etc.

If you still prefer pre-mixed paints to exact FS#s, Lifecolor makes a full range of acrylic paints. They're excellent, thin with distilled water, and dry hard as a rock. One source for them is Sprue Brothers..

As Paul alluded to, do yourself a big favor and stay away from Model Master Acrylics including their primer. The whole line has major issues. Masking is a nightmare, as the paint barely sticks to plastic primed or not. I have used on occasion their enamels, and love them. Drying time is the big drawback.

Joel
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 08:33 PM UTC
Finally tracked down an Airfix Seafire. I'm having trouble tracking down the Warpaint book though... Any suggestions?

I've decided on updating my paint stock with Xtracrylix. It seems easier unless someone does a paint-match with BS colors and Vallejo?

I hate to say it and even more questions, but AM decals and posible upgrade sets for the Seafire?

Thanks again!!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
When I moved from Enamels to Acrylics I predominantly used Tamiya as that was what the local shop stocked. In recent years I've started moving over to Gunze as I couldn't get on with Vallego or Xtracrylic. Gunze have a large selection of colour matches for RLM, FS and some british colour. MDC are the UK importers of them and the full range can be found Here
 _GOTOTOP