Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
I've been trying to find the Special Hobbies F2A-3 Brewster Buffalo Midway version, but the only available kit is labeled as a trainer. The box art is the same as the Midway version, which makes little to no sense.

I've done several google searches, checked Wikipedia for a listed trainer (none), and checked several online stores, but I can't find out what is the difference between the two kits. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?
Thanks,
Joel

Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:22 AM UTC
I found these to compare the two kits:
Battle of Midway
US Navy Trainer

Looks like the US Navy Trainer version is an upgraded boxing of the Midway kit: there's a couple of new new resin parts, one small additional decal sheet, and instructions with added steps for the trainer-specific parts.

Using the same box as a previously released kit seems to be the norm with smaller production run Special Hobby/MPM kits based on existing releases: I've got the Finnish Air Force boxing of Special Hobby's 1:72 Avro Anson, and it uses the box of their "Early Version" boxing, with an info sticker on top.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found these to compare the two kits:
Battle of Midway
US Navy Trainer

Looks like the US Navy Trainer version is an upgraded boxing of the Midway kit: there's a couple of new new resin parts, one small additional decal sheet, and instructions with added steps for the trainer-specific parts.

Using the same box as a previously released kit seems to be the norm with smaller production run Special Hobby/MPM kits based on existing releases: I've got the Finnish Air Force boxing of Special Hobby's 1:72 Avro Anson, and it uses the box of their "Early Version" boxing, with an info sticker on top.

Eetu, Thanks so much for the info. Yes indeed, it looks like the Trainer version is an update reboxing. I'm interested in the Mid-way version, and as long as the parts are there for it, I'm more then satisfied. As for the decals, I just might bite the bullet and have Mal do some masks for me.
Joel

_GOTOTOP