_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Opinions wanted on panel lines
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hey all,

I wanted opinions on effective colors to wash the panel lines on very dark schemes such as overall GSB or Gloss Black. I have heard of people using greys, aluminum, or even yellow once. I am looking for a way to make them noticible but not necessarily pop out like neon, I would like more detail to the eye than a big dark blue or black silhouette. Something to subtly compliment panel shading.

I was thinking of going with a lightened shade of the base like mixing white and GSB 50/50, or even using intermediate blue. Opinions or personal tastes from your experiences?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey all,

I wanted opinions on effective colors to wash the panel lines on very dark schemes such as overall GSB or Gloss Black. I have heard of people using greys, aluminum, or even yellow once. I am looking for a way to make them noticible but not necessarily pop out like neon, I would like more detail to the eye than a big dark blue or black silhouette. Something to subtly compliment panel shading.

I was thinking of going with a lightened shade of the base like mixing white and GSB 50/50, or even using intermediate blue. Opinions or personal tastes from your experiences?

Paul,
I've experimented with this exact issue on both my all black 1/48 scale P-61 & a F4U-1A. I've settled on a medium Gray as it's not overly bright, but does bring out the recessed panel lines, etc. The darker you go, the less the effect becomes. You could actually try black if you're going to be weathering and fading the tone of the GSB.

I did a little experimenting, with direct light, and the panel lines do reflect the light as a bright color, so to some degree it's a realistic approach.

Damian brought up the idea of using black/red, although I've never tried it as yet.

Here's two pictures of my P-61. While not perfect, the medium gray wash is effective both in highlighting the recessed lines, and breaking up those large areas of black.
Joel

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
i like that joel, looks really good.

paul
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC
I still swear by a pencil. Get yourself a technical pencil with, say, a 0.3mm lead, in 3B grade or darker, and you can work wonders. It's also much more controllable than a wash and it can be erased easily if you make a mistake. The other nice feature is that the lines are darker than, say, a medium grey wash, but they gleam a little and will show up when the light catches them right.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I still swear by a pencil. Get yourself a technical pencil with, say, a 0.3mm lead, in 3B grade or darker, and you can work wonders. It's also much more controllable than a wash and it can be erased easily if you make a mistake. The other nice feature is that the lines are darker than, say, a medium grey wash, but they gleam a little and will show up when the light catches them right.

Sean,
Thanks for that tip. It's that elusive gleam that I'm really interested in. If one looks close enough at pictures with panel lines in the sunlight, there is always some areas that reflect light off of the ridges. It's been nearly impossible to duplicate that reflection with any color wash.
Joel
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
with all of my dark finished aircraft I use titanium white or paynes grey oil paint thay has been heavily thinned...like 99:1 thin. I apply it as a pin wash and let it run its course then clean up any goofs with a q-tip. It isn't too stark and imparts just the right amount of contrast to the dark finishes. As always, your mileage may vary so test it first. "Q"
I used the same technique on this Marauder after rescribing...

photo _MG_4488_zpsaff5633e.jpg
 _GOTOTOP