_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Robin Olds "SCAT" aircraft...
48thscale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:37 PM UTC
Here's a question for you...

I've got a 1/48 P38, P51 and F4...the latter came with Robin Olds markings for his Phantom he flew in Vietnam.

The Phantom's name is "SCAT XXVII",the original SCAT I can find is a P38...then there's a SCAT VI that is a P51. Then I can find next to nothing about aircraft called "SCAT"...until number 27, the Phantom used in Vietnam.

What aircraft did this gentleman use in his quite interesting career? Which aircraft would he have flown when in training to be a pilot?

And, last but not least, what does "SCAT" mean ?

And yes, there's a theme and collection here I'd like to play with...

H.

Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Robin Olds had a room mate at West Point called Scat Davis. When an eye problem prevented Scat from becoming a pilot Olds told Scat that every time he flew Scat would be with him. From that day on Robin Olds' aircraft were all called Scat and a number. Scat Davis became an infantry man and was killed by a mortar just after the end of the Battle of the Bulge. When asked why XXVII? General Olds said it had been about 27 years between flights and it sounded like a good number.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
A quick Google seems to reveal what you already know but i did find something on where the name SCAT came from

Quoted Text

The nickname Scat, which Olds used on all fighters assigned to him, was to fulfil a promise he made to Lawton "Scat" Davis, his West Point room-mate. Davis been washed out of pilot training because he was colour blind, and through the nickname on Olds' aircraft could "at least be here symbolically". Scat II was destroyed by fire when it bellied into a field during take-off while being flown by another pilot on July 5, 1944. 1st Lt. Lawton Davis became a company commander in the 289th Infantry, 75th Infantry Division, and was killed in action near Vielsalm, Belgium, January 16, 1945.

48thscale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
Antoni, Allen,

Thanks.

Yes, it's a good and inspiring example of respect for a friend, something to remember. It's not about what you are, it's who you are...

What I was wondering about is what one has to do to be honored with the nickname "SCAT"...the translations probably don't do the facts any justice...

The other thing I'm curious about is what aircraft this gentleman has been flying up until Vietnam...is there any way to find out? There must have been quite some activity from 1945 until then...

Harald
 _GOTOTOP