_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Removing tape residue?
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
My latest model was going so well until disaster. The tape I used to create the lines to paint with, when removed, left a chunk of sticky residue. Anyone got a tip on how to remove it?

Figured I would ask here before attempting to do so myself in case I mess up and make the small mess into a big one
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:22 AM UTC
If it's still sticky, try pulling it up with another piece of tape. Roll the tape in a loop with the sticky side out, ten stick it on your model briefly and pull up sharply. You may need to do that a few times to get it all unstuck.

If that doesn't work, try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball.
Toad-In-The-Hole
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 44 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:07 AM UTC
I was too late for the tape trick but rubbing alcohol worked perfectly

Thanks, I'll remember the tape one for the future since I'm certain the same thing will happen again
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC
Jack,
To remove tape residue, you can just use your finger rubbing over it in a circular motion, it will ball up the adhesive, then you can use a toothpick or tweezers to remove the small ball.

I would caution against using Alcohol if your paint is acrylic based, as it would be very easy to remove some paint in the process.

The trick here is not to have any residue in the 1st place. Odds are you are using regular masking tape. You need to detack the tape prior to applying it to the model surface, especially if it's been painted. You do that by sticking the tape to the back of your hand or arm. The oils from your skin will kill some of the tackiness. You need very little adhesive for masking models.

A better solution is not to use masking tape. The best tape on the market is Tamiya tape. It's rather expensive compared to run of the mill masking tape, but it's well worth it.

If I'm using large pieces of Tamiya tape, I still do the hand/arm procedure. Most likely not needed, but I'm so use to doing it, it's 2nd nature to me.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP