_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Matchbox Hunter- blast from the past!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:30 AM UTC
One thing I really love is a good two-seat conversion trainer. I almost always find that the two –seaters are better looking than their single seat counterparts. Unfortunately, finding kits of the two-holers isn’t all that easy. There are some nice newer ones like the Hobby Boss A-7 two seaters and the like, but British trainers are harder to get.

I really wanted a two seat Hunter, and thankfully Matchbox answered the call way back in the day (before I ever even asked it!). I recently got my hands on one of the old Hunter T.7 kits, and am pretty pumped about building it. Take a look at my out of box review for it here:

http://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/matchbox-172-hunter-fga-9t-7-oob/

It looks like it should be fun. Now to decide on a paint scheme!

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Good luck with the build.
I've been after one of these for myself for some time but they always go for silly money on evilbay.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
Thanks! I lucked into this one. It was marked $16, which seemed a bit high for a Matchbox (maybe it wasn't?) but I got dealing with the guy and he seemed to think no one else was going to want it, so I got it for less than that.

I'm sure glad he had one! I'm amazed the New Airfix team hasn't brought out one of these. One with the Sea Harrier radar would be nice.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
You got yourself a good deal there then!
Odds and Ordnance have a couple of resin conversions for a T.7 and T.8M with the Blue Fox radar nose, for the Revell 1/72 FGA.9. Might be worth considering if you have one of those.
http://www.spanglefish.com/oddsandordnance/index.asp?pageid=161038

Likewise I'm surprised Airfix never did one.
I am lucky enough to have one each of the Matchbox Lightning T.55's and the 2-seater Viggen. They are rarer than the T.7 Hunter! Like that one they have very basic cockpits that will need improving. Especially seeing as I'm having to replace the Lightnings missing canopy with a Pavla vac item. Must be why I got that one so cheap.
I'll admit to having a soft spot for Matchbox, they're what I started on in the mid 90's. The local model shop used to sell them at half the price of other manufacturers which was a big incentive for me with the pocket money I used to get. I love their simple buildability and the interesting types they covered. I have a Halifax, Wellesley and A-20 in the build pile for this year. My holy grail kit is of course their Victor tanker.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My holy grail kit is of course their Victor tanker.

If you don't mind building it in only one colour of plastic, you can get it in the Revell box a whole lot easier than the Matchbox one.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My holy grail kit is of course their Victor tanker.

If you don't mind building it in only one colour of plastic, you can get it in the Revell box a whole lot easier than the Matchbox one.

That's the one I'm after, mostly because of the included Desert Storm markings. Matchbox decals tend to deteriorate worse than most others so I would have to replace them if I got an original boxing. Even the Revell boxing fetches stupid prices for some reason whenever they come up for sale. We have a model show coming up in April near me so I'm hoping to bag one then. Its the only one of the V-Bombers I'm missing. The ultimate plan is to have them all in a different colour scheme showing the different service lives - a white Valiant to show the nuclear role, a camouflaged Vulcan to represent a low level bomber and a desert pink Victor to show the final years of service. You watch though, the second I get one and pay through the nose for it, Revell will reissue it at a cheaper price!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You got yourself a good deal there then!
Odds and Ordnance have a couple of resin conversions for a T.7 and T.8M with the Blue Fox radar nose, for the Revell 1/72 FGA.9. Might be worth considering if you have one of those.
http://www.spanglefish.com/oddsandordnance/index.asp?pageid=161038

Likewise I'm surprised Airfix never did one.
I am lucky enough to have one each of the Matchbox Lightning T.55's and the 2-seater Viggen. They are rarer than the T.7 Hunter! Like that one they have very basic cockpits that will need improving. Especially seeing as I'm having to replace the Lightnings missing canopy with a Pavla vac item. Must be why I got that one so cheap.
I'll admit to having a soft spot for Matchbox, they're what I started on in the mid 90's. The local model shop used to sell them at half the price of other manufacturers which was a big incentive for me with the pocket money I used to get. I love their simple buildability and the interesting types they covered. I have a Halifax, Wellesley and A-20 in the build pile for this year. My holy grail kit is of course their Victor tanker.

I didn't know the two-seater Viggen was rare! I got it, the Skynight and the Lightning T.55 all at one hobby shop that was closing in the mid 2000's. They were all like $9 or something! Score for me!

I wish there was a nice Victor in i1/44 to go with the GWH Vulcan and my other 1950's bombers in that scale.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish there was a nice Victor in i1/44 to go with the GWH Vulcan and my other 1950's bombers in that scale.

There's a very nice Victor available. And also a Valiant to go along with it.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
Drat. Now I guess I'll have to get those!

As for the Hunter, the Sidewinder conversion and sinister dark grey-grey scheme of the Omani Air Force has won out!

Man, it's amazing how lethal such an old plane can still look (and, if used properly, likely even be)!
 _GOTOTOP