_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help please - White-tac
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:52 AM UTC
I feel quite dumb asking this but here goes: Could someone please point me in the direction of a vendor who sells White-tac on line and thus as such I could order it? I live in the Northwest United States. Any assistance would be appreciated. Jim
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
While I am not in the US any stationers should have it.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
You can purchase White Tac at any discounter like Walmark or Kmart. All stationary, and Art & Craft stores carry it. Even drugs like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite have a stationary dept., and carries it. I'm a manager for CVS, and even we carry it in the stationary dept.

Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
don't overlook Jo-Ann Fabric. I love that place.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
Jim,
You can also use "blue tac" which is almost the same stuff (just blue)and can be found at Office Depot, Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Look in the stationary section. As mentioned, fabric stores also carry it, and I've seen it at Bartell's here in Washington. Don't get "Earthquake Putty" or "Museum Putty" confused with white/blue tac, as they are designed to fix heavy items temporarily in place, and won't release from painted surfaces easily (although they do have their uses). I get my blue tac in Gig Harbor at Office Depot. I'm not sure where you are in Washington, but if you're in a remote location, try going to the Wal-Mart website, and if that doesn't work, I'll bet you can find it at Amazon.com.
VR, Russ
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
You guys are the best! Thank you all very much for the quick assistance. I never thought of those places. I've been scouring Squadron, Sprue Bros. etc to no avail, no wonder. I live in the far northeast corner of WA so I think our Walmat is my only choice. If I go to Spokane I can look at the other locations you guys suggested. Thanks again to all, I was also wondering about Blue-tac so that was great too! Take care and look for my latest creation soon. Jim
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:28 AM UTC
Jim, if your intention is to use it for masking, please allow me to offer some advice. Avoid the cheap "poster putty" you find at office supply, craft shops, etc. I've tried numerous other brands and none work nearly as well as genuine Bostik Blu-Tack.

It's not cheap but is well worth the investment. I've not found it in any US stores so buy mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72

HTH

Cheers,
Eric

golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You guys are the best! Thank you all very much for the quick assistance. I never thought of those places. I've been scouring Squadron, Sprue Bros. etc to no avail, no wonder.

Doesn't it drive you nuts when your searches come up empty, and then someone finds it? Can never tell what wording to use sometimes.
 _GOTOTOP