_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Wingnut Wings FOKKER D.VII "Ernst Udet"
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hello,

here is my finished FOKKER D.VII flown by Ernst Udet 1918. My first Wingnut Wings kit and 100% not the last one

Kit: Wingnut Wings
Gun barrels: Master Models
Lozenge decals: Aviattic

Hope that you like it.....

Cheers
Michael
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:07 AM UTC
That's very nice indeed!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
Very nice work Michael! They sure do make great kits, don't they?

Michael
dolly15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
AeroScale: 3,915 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Nice!
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 10:42 AM UTC
Michael,
That's nicely done. Your red colour is very realistic, I like the toned down look and the shade as opposed to the very bright red most folks use. Is you Aviattic Lozenge "cookie cutter" or just straight bolt pattern with your own tapes, also is it faded or the Factory Fresh product?
Great DVII.
Cheers,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:22 AM UTC
Very decent build. What were your thoughts on the build? Any issues you encountered? Thanks again for sharing.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2014 - 11:42 AM UTC
Nice work Michael.
Is this one of the kits marking options?
One day I'll treat myself to one of their kits, but at present they are way outside of my budget at the moment.
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hello mates,
thank you very much for your nice comments! Really thank you!

The Lozenge Decals are cookie cutter / faded and received a layer of Tamiya smoke on it.

The layout is no official version of the kit, I have taped the red/white upper wing and the white striped on the top of the fuselage before the red painting. The "Du doch nicht" letter and the "Lo!" are decals of the kit.

The red is Mister Kit Jasta Red sprayed over a white primer, then airbrushed several layers of light grey mixed with lot of water to get the "old" style of the red and to avoid the "plastic toy look"

The kit itself is fantastic.... lot of fun... and not my last one from Wingnut Wings. The Roland is coming next, the Hansa Brandenburg and the Gotha are waiting... as well as the Hannover, the Pfalz, another Fokker, .........

BR
Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:46 PM UTC
In my opinion there are other considerations as well. My aim is usually to pick a time period that the machine existed. Factory fresh, in service or at the end. Some machines had a very short life indeed. Consider Oblt. Ernst Udet's Early Schwerin build Fokker D.VII we usually call "Du doch Nicht!!" It was in its bright livery for about 3 weeks before it was lost. Stark's OAW Fokker D.VII went through several months where markings were enhanced and added. Knowing the history of a particular machine gives the builder a rule of thumb as to the condition of a given airframe at a given time.

Here is a bit of background on the subject of DDN.

The ever popular German Ace Oblt.Ernst Udet’s early Fokker D.VII is now known to be an early Schwerin aircraft not an OAW as the provided reference in the Roden kit implies. Commonly referred to as DDN in reference to the statement Udet had painted on the elevators, “Du doch nicht!!” , which translates to, “Certainly not you!!” It was believed to have been assigned to him on or about June 13, 1918 and was lost in combat on June 26, 1918. Recently, various interpretations of the three known images of this aircraft have surfaced. To convert the Roden to an early Schwerin type simply erase the circular access port on each surface of the side cowling panels and paint the vertical fin “red” upto the area adjacent to the rudder balance (the forward most portion of the top of the rudder where it curves down to the vertical fin.) Also indications tell us that “DDN” used a Mercedes D.IIIaü 180hp. The nose and under carriage were probably “red” as well.
 _GOTOTOP