_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help needed: Online profiles for JG301 Doras
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC
I've started building the Academy FW109D-9, and I've decided I'd like to finish it as one of JG301's Doras. (As I quite like the red and yellow "defence of the Reich"-bands)

Now the kit includes decals for a Dora supposedly flown by a Feldwebel Hagen Förster, with no tactical number, just a personal symbol.

But as I've found no references to this plane, and searches just find links to different decal-sheets, I'm thinking a tactical number wouldn't go amiss.

I know JG301 used a lot of different and peculiar color-codings. (Such as colored horisontal bars to signal what Gruppe a plane belonged to.) And I have plenty of tactical numbers in different colors in my spare decals files. But I'd like to finish the plane in something resembling a historical look, so if anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably well researched profile of one of this JGs Doras, I'd be much obliged.
Roxter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rigas, Latvia
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
Eirik, what about "Red 1" (W.Nr.500439 flown by Walter Kropp) from JG301? The scheme is quite interesting and flamboyant as well as "red 1" is quite easy to paint with masks

Here's more information on the subject.

Hope this helps
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC
Have you tried Wings Palette? They seem to have several JG 301 Dora profiles.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/2/2#16
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you tried Wings Palette? They seem to have several JG 301 Dora profiles.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/2/2#16

Yes, the problem is that they have little references beyond the actual picture, which is usually just a side view (the underside of the Dora's was often just partially painted, or painted in unusual colors like grey or greens). And add to that many of the profiles have rather blatant errors as well which makes me suspicious of the other pictures.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 11:03 AM UTC
Eirik,

Try looking at the Eagle Editions website in their selection of EagleCals, they have quite a few decal sheets for the Dora including JG 301 birds, even if you don't buy any of their decal sheets you can still see the color profile artwork on the cover of each decal sheet.

I have used a lot of the decals from Eagle Editions and they are simply the best decals I have worked with and the subjects well researched.

A word of warning about the Wings Palete color profiles...some of them are good but others are pretty old and based on incorrect information, buyer beware! Oh yeah, its free to visit the site but beware anyway.

Matrixone

_GOTOTOP