Hosted by Rowan Baylis
AMTech Huckebein; Germany's last hope
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 12:37 AM UTC
If there’s one thing I love, it’s a good old “What If”. I can remember coming across some old Luftwaffe 1946 and Tigers of Terra comics years and years ago, and almost literally overheating with excitement at seeing some of the fantastic German concepts drawn as if they were in action for real! It really fired up my desire to seek out and build What If planes, and that continues to this day!

One nice What If kit is the AMTech 1/48th Ta-183 Huckebein. This is a much nicer kit than the Pioneer 1/72 offering (although it’s passable), and goes to gether really nicely (for the most part). When I had a chance to get one cheap, I couldn’t pass it up, but it took a bit of time to work up the courage to build it.

Take a look at it and let me know what you think!

http://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/amtech-148-ta-183-huckebein/

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 02:48 AM UTC
Adam,
At 1st glance I thought you modeled a prototype, as the Germans always had some advance designs in a testing stage. To me a "What If" is something you created, this is a model of a concept, so it's on the fence by my reasoning.

Certainly a solid, nicely built, painted, and decaled aircraft.
Joel
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC
Joel:

I know what you mean about prototype vs. in trials vs. in development. The problem with the Huckebein is that it was fully engineered, there were free-flight gliders and windtunnel models, but there were no human-sized flight articles.

So, since the plane was never in the hardware stage, I figure it's a "what if", since I painted it and armed it as if it was in combat.

That's were What If gets tough. Theoretically, an He-280 in combat colours and markings is a What If, too, even though it existed as a plane.

That's what I love about What If though, too; it's all about perspective and imagination. It's a nice break from rivet counting!

I did enter this in a show once, in 1/48 Jet, and I was told to move it to their "Catch 22" category, which included What If. I said it was closer to a real plane than a Whif, but they disagreed. See, all perspective!

Thanks for the compliments, too.

Oh, and I have a TONNE of Napkin designs to build too!
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
I think it's wise to differentiate between a what-if design and a what-if profile/armament...

There's plenty of paper-tanks/paper-planes (hmmm) that only excisted as a design or idea, on the other hand there's machines that was in some stage of completion, but never reached operative status.

:)
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 07:21 AM UTC
If you want "what if"...
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 11:04 AM UTC
Jessie:

Nice work, and very plausible; frighteningly so!

I have an old stamp book where it shows the "Mig-19" and it looks almost EXACTLY like that!
 _GOTOTOP