_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
MH-60G Dio of the end of "Lone Survivor"
rohandp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC
I've just recently gotten back into modelling after a long hiatus. I've had an Academy 1:35 MH-60g in the closet for a while and decided to attempt a diorama (it's gonna be huge) depicting the pickup of Marcus Luttrell at the end of Operation Red Wings. I've read both of his books and watched the Smithsonian Channel "Helicopter Mission - Taliban Gambit", that provides a lot of detail about the mission, as well as the Lone Survivor movie, although it changes the pickup scene completely. I worry that the "recreations" use current equipment and might not match the event (July 2005).

I'm looking to confirm details about the scene like:

1) Paint Color of the MH-60g at the time - Gunship Grey (Tamiya equivalent?)?

2) External gun mounts during that period? (like the ones from Cobra Co)

3) FLIR and Anti-Missile systems at that time?

4) Markings on aircraft and unit patches?

5) Number and makeup of the Guys-in-Back - CC, Gunner, and PJ or two?

6) I'm assuming the crew is using NVG's, how about the PJ's?
7) Ideas for figures - I'm currently using the Trumpeter CH47D Crew, ICM Anti-Terror kit for Marcus and villagers, also a few rangers, I'd like to get the Nemrod kit, but can't find it anywhere.

I've been reading through this forum and have found loads of good information and inspiration. I'll start posting some WIP pics as I dig in.

Since this was a real world event, I'm trying to be as true to the event as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
This is an HH-60G (as they are called now) in about '05. It has all the parts you are listing.

For paint, Model Master Gunship Grey is the closest to USAF AFSOC Grey. Sorry, I don't know what Tamiya color is best since I don't use Tamiya paints.

For teh Crew, the Nemrod set is awesome. The Trumpeter set sucks. There is a Nemrod set on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-35-Nemrod-U-S-Black-Hawk-Crew-resin-kit-/121293881314?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1c3dadbfe2

All of the crew would have NVGs on. If you can't get the Nemrod crew, I would go with Dragon's Vietnam crewmen and replace teh torsos with newer ones wearing IBAS body armor
or the likes to bring them more up to date, or use the old Verlinden Cobra Pilot's survival vest torso on the Dragon figures.
rohandp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC
Gino,

Thanks for the info. I had seen that pic before, but I was unsure as to the vintage and whether or not it fit my time frame.

Looks like I'm going to need to spend some more money on resin for the gun mounts.

I saw the eBay auction over the weekend and will probably go for it. I had to trim the Trumpeter guys down significantly to get them to even fit in the cockpit.

Have you seen any kits for PJ's? There's a single guy from Airborne Miniatures that looks good.

I ordered a couple of DEVGRU sets from them, but haven't received them yet. So I'm not sure yet how reliable that company is. Also CMK has a Medic set, but the pics are unassembled.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
I haven't seen any other PJ sets. The Airborne guy looks good. I have a few Airborne Miniatures figures an dthey look really nice. The CKM ones are so-so.

rohandp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 09:04 AM UTC
Gino,

Is there any visible difference at this scale between the IBAS body armor you mentioned and the BAE Systems' IOTV Improved Outer Tactical Vest (IOTV)? Live Resin sells torsos with the IOTV armor. Looking at picks online I see some minor differences, but probably not noticeable buried in the cockpit.

Thanks,
Jason
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 - 10:43 AM UTC
To those who know, yes. You can see that the IBAS has a split down the center of the chect and the IOTV is solid across the chest.

Verlinden sells torsos with IBAS. Dragon has a Modern Marines set with IBAS. Trumpeter has a couple sets with IBAS. There are other resin sets w/Ibas as well.

If interested, I have a couple of the Trumpeter figure sets for sale. See here.

rohandp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 02:59 PM UTC
Here's an update on my progress. The first photo is an early stage using the kit parts and test fitted pilots from the Trumpeter CH-47 kit.

I then upgraded with Cobra Company AM resin parts.

The next is an early stage for the Marcus and Gulab figures. Still working on the poses and paint on these.

Another shot of the pilots.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 - 03:22 PM UTC
Looks like it is coming along pretty nicely. Good job.
 _GOTOTOP