_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help with buying decision!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
I've been saving my pennies for a while and am within a couple of weeks of being able to purchase one of two 1/32 kits I've been wanting for a while: the Wingnut Wings Gotha G.IV or the Alley Cat Hawker Fury I. Both are in the $150 range and both will be in reach soon, but only one of them. As I cannot decide which to get, and since I get so much great inspiration and help from AeroScale, I thought I'd ask my friends here what you think!

The pros and cons of each:

Fury:

Pros: Fills a hole in my existing collection of 1/32 Sopwith/Hawker fighters. I've got every one that's relatively easily available except the Fury. Also a relatively small kit that I can probably find room for.

Cons: Tricky build from what I've read, especially given my lack of good Fury reference material. And really, will I ever stick to this and get them all built?

Gotha:

Pros: Gotha! WNW (never met one I didn't love)!! Groundbreaking kit!

Cons: My God, look at the size of the thing!

Any and all advice on my first-world-problem will be cheerfully accepted. Thanks all!

Michael
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 05:49 AM UTC
Michael: I'd get the Fury. Being short-run, you never know whether it'll be available if you wait (or if the price for a 2nd hand one will be astronomical). Also the size issue as you mentioned, and the fact that the Fury would fit into a series you are building.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 06:01 AM UTC
Just my personal 2cents input, Michael.
I'm sure everyone would love to see another superb Gotha build; I've seen some of them on the web that I'm still trying to drag my jaw off the floor after studying. Your right, though it is a huge model, and I believe WNW or not, it would be fairly difficult to do right. Not saying to couldn't handle it, because you are a high caliber modeller. I'm just thinking there would be a great deal of hard effort required.

To me, the Fury is a elegant airplane, beautiful in fact. It is smaller and therefore easier to display. I'm not familiar with the AlleyCat kit, but, feel a modeller of your caliber can defeat any difficult areas in construction.

Also, I feel there would be a time element involved. I find if I spend too much time on a kit, I tire of it. That may be just me.

None-the-less, I would choose the Fury. Without any smoking gun held to my head. Like I say, though, that's just my pennies worth.

Ben
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
-Flips Coin- ... Heads. Build the Gotha.

DougN1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
My avatar shows my vote, but where have you heard the Fury is a difficult build?

Should be a very nice build, especially since the AlleyCat kit provides metal cabane struts and a alignment jig.

Doug
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Go with the Fury , there ..tossed my hat in the ring .

Terri
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hmmm... I feel things leaning the Fury's way.

Thanks for the input everyone, sometimes it's just good to hear from others in the know.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP