_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Keeping it small: Roden DC-3 1/144.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
While I keep on practicing with my new airbrush/compressor (birthday present from the old folk) I keep to side projects in 1/144. This time in the form of Rodens quite excellent DC-3 kit.
Now the paintjob could have been better, but at this scale it will do, any weathering is very easily overdone.

Two things to note. Beware that the engines are not identical but mirror images of each other, I first managed to glue on the opposite cowlings before I noticed.

And while Roden claims that the singel decal options is "Late 30's" mey limited research points to it being from somewhere between 1946 and 1950. As far as I can tell the company used a differnet logo between and under the war, started using the slogan "The Trans World Airline" in 1945, and in 1950 changed the company name to Trans World Airlines (from the original Transcontinental & Western Airlines

TWA used the DC-3 from 1937 to 1957, so no big mistake... I've been told that the DC-3s used by TWA had the main door on the starboard side of the fuselage, not the port, as the kit has, but I didn't care to fill and rescribe on the other side.

Thank you for looking.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 - 07:55 AM UTC
very nice model. nicely done.
The 1/144 scale community has a number of fine DC-3 / C-47 etc kits to choose from now. besides the roden kit you have shown us here, the Welsh models vacuform kit is still around, Minicraft has quite a decent kit available with several decal options, - I have some of these in the pipeline - and also Eastern Express has a C-47 or Li-2 model, and I have read favorable remarks about that one.

_GOTOTOP