_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How to Mr. Surfacer?
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
Heard that this stuff is super, so bought some. Plan to use it to work those hairline seams like when you put the halves of a fusealage together. What is the best way to apply this? Hypodermic, or brush? How do you clean up after it? Sorry for all the questios, but I am uable to read Japanese. Oh, to limit the posts...I got it from Great Models . It costs less than $4 and the jar gives you a pretty good quantity, so if this stuff works like I've heard, it's the deal of the week
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi Blaster
I have some limited experience with this line of products. I have found that the best way of applying this stuff is with a brush. Use a dedicated brush, for this stuff, is tough to clean off. I found that Mr. Thinner is about the only thing that will clean it off your brushes. So invest in some of that. IMHO the 500 is the most useful.
Hope this helps, Happy Modeling, and Holidays!
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
I bought some (Both 500 and 1000) from Mission Models reciently. I have only ised it once on a small area, applied with a toothpick. I read somewhere that laquer thinner is best for clean-up. But tek2 has a point about using the Mr Thinner.
I'd be interested in the comments of anyone who has used it too.
Chuck (:-)
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:44 AM UTC
My question is, what is mr surfacer???, I have never heard of it

cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:35 AM UTC
Mr Surfacer is a "paintable" filler. As I said, I only tried it on a small area. It dries very smooth. I think with practice and care one could say goodbye to sanding. It seems best for hairline seams. I saw a picture of it being brushed on white metal to prep for painting.
HTH
Chuck. (:-)
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys. I've got the 500. I'll try cleanup with mineral spirits, waited a month to get this stuff. My poor Mig15 got started the end of October, a day into the build I realized I was missing the clear sprue, so it took a couple of days to get info, but contacted Tamiya and got the part in a week or so later. Then decided to try this Mr Surfacer stuff I had heard about and placed an order for it (with a couple of other items) into Great MOdels. After a month and a week, it finally arrived, but right now I'm in the middle of an AFV M-88
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

, but right now I'm in the middle of an AFV M-88

So am I. In fact I tried Mr Surfacer on that model. If you look in my gallery you can see a before and after picture. I broke the part in half so I had to glue it back. I used MS to hide the break. I just brushed it on and took the pic about 10 min later. It hasn't been sanded yet.
I cleaned the brush with Laquer thinner, so now I know that works.
If you look at the pics, please ignore the glue spot on the right.
Chuck (:-)
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:15 AM UTC
Howdy Fellas,

I have used Mr. Surfacer for quite awhile now, and there's really no 'secret' to it's application. It's so easy to work with, and sands so easily as well, that you could apply it with a whitewash brush and it would still cooperate! You'd just be wasting Mr. Surfacer is all.

I agree with the dedicated application brush (but don't we all already do that with other things?). Because after awhile the brush strands start to get a little too 'fuzzy' to use the brush for anything else.
Something else you can do with MS, is you can also use it to simulate small lands or grooves or dimples on your model. In other words you can 'form' it to a small degree. Just think about the possibilities there.
hth

Tread.

BTW, the '500' is the best choice. If I need the '1000', I usually use the spray.
 _GOTOTOP