_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
You can't have to many Spitfires.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
:-) I'm currently working on 3 Spitfires and 1 Seafire, which is not that many of Supermarines finest, when you consider that you just can't have to many. I also have several other models on the go but the 4 Supermarine aircraft, a P-51 and Hawker Tempest are the ones I'm trying to concentrate on. I'm posting here to try and give myself a kick, to get something done. I have been finding it difficult to get any modelling done, so I haven't been posting any in progress stuff. Posting here is usually the motivation I need so I'm looking for some discussion over these projects. (:-)

Tamiya Spitfire Mk I, this has had a primer coat, using Halfords auto grey plastic primer, then pre-shaded with matt black. The camouflage coats are Lifecolor acrylics, masked with Tamiya masking tape and White tack. 2 Hand brushed coats of Klear have been applied followed by the decals. When the decals were dry and the setting solution residue had been removed 2 more hand brushed coats of future were applied. This model is now waiting for the washes to be applied.

Hasegawa Spitfire Mk Vb, This Spit is waiting it's primer coat. It will be cleaned using Isopropyl Alcohol, the primer will be white plastic primer, again from Halfords. The canopy is masked using Parafilm-M, which is my usual method. The wheel bays are masked using Tamiya tape and kitchen towel, dampend and stuffed into the opening.

Tamiya Spitfire Mk Vb Trop, I am adding the Cooper resin cockpit to this one. AS per the Cooper instructions the detail on the cockpit walls has been removed, using a ball grinder, a No 10 (curved) scalpel blade and emery paper. The the cockpit floor, sidewalls, rear frame and instrument panel are joined, temporarily, with white glue and test fitted until the proper location is achieved. I'm at the next stage, which is adding the upper sidewall ribs. This model is going to be finished in the markings of "Screwball" Beurling, the wonderful Canadian ace, during the siege of Malta.

Airfix Seafire FR 47. I've just started this, for the WOW campaign. So far I've removed the panel and window opening, for the recce cameras. The locations are well shown on the inside of the fuselage halves. I used the point of an old pair of compasses to continually score the plastic until the required bits were removed. The resultant holes were cleaned up with a file. I have also assembled the wing outer panels, which will be in the folded position.

Eduard Hawker Tempest. The wings have been joined but they took a lot of scraping and sanding to get an exceptably thin trailing edge. The cockpit parts were painted black, then cockpit green, in an experiment in pre-shading cockpits. It worked quite well but I think it makes the cockpit to dark. Some of the PE has been added to the cockpit. I'm still trying to work out how the resin cockpit parts fit together, as it's not very clear in the instructions. I had a few problems fitting the radiator parts, in the nose, I resorted to grinding out the plastic to make room

Airfix/Arii/Otaki P-51 Mustang. This is one of the kits re-issued by Airfix that was originally issued by, I think, Otaki then later by Arii ( see a thread elsewhere about Arii). This model is being built without any refinement ( the seat belts are simply strips of painted wine bottle foil) to tst out Kitchen foil as a bare metal finish. I love bare metal finishes and I've tried SNJ and Allclad II, but I'm still after a more realistic appearance. Bare Metal Foil is very good, but very expensive, Kitchen foil is very cheap so it seems to me that kitchen foil is a good direction. I have done some preliminary tests and the results were encouraging. I think I've learnt what not to do, it only remains for me to complete this model so I can see if I can get the results I hope for.

This image is included to show some of the excellant serface detail on these old kits.

Thanks for listening :-)
Mal (:-)
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
Mal,
know the feeling

Quoted Text

I have been finding it difficult to get any modelling done

been trying to get motivated myself. Working on trying to finish my entry in DfA, but got bogged down somehow.
In my confusion I dove into my stockpile and pulled out 2 Mossies and a Cleveland(SBD). I know you can't have too many Spits BUT I've always liked the Mossies too.

Your detail work is outstanding, the Spit looks great. Can't wait to see that Tempest.

Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays to you and yours !!

BullDog 133
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Stunning stuff as usual!!

How do you reckon the Tamiya and Hasegawa Spits compare?

The Cooper Details cockpit looks like a big improvement over the kit items.

I usually "pre-shade" cockpits, followed by a rough coat of the base colour (to leave a shadowed effect) and then dry-brush with a lightened version of the base colour to pull out the detail and make sure things don't get too dark.

I was going to try Eduard's Tempest for RMG, but I haven't been able to confirm the markings for an aircraft that took part in the operation. Seems to be the story of my life lately - I still haven't got to the bottom of my "mystery" Hurrican IID...

Instead I'll be doing a photo-recon Spit - just to prove Spitfire's look Pretty In Pink!! :-)

All the best, and have a wonderful time over Christmas! Get started on that Barracuda... that should get the modelling juices flowing!!

Rowan
mlb63
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 355 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Holdfast i certainly agree that you can't have too many Spits.wich kite is your favourite?mine would be the mk Vb tropical.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Mal

Awesome work. Inspires me to finally finish the Spitfire I have been struggling with the last 2 months. Thanks for push!
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC
Nice cockpit ! well done camouflage!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 09:45 AM UTC
:-)
Quoted Text

Chuck.
Can't wait to see that Tempest.

This baby has been on the go for quite some time, I can't wait to see it

Quoted Text

Rowan.
How do you reckon the Tamiya and Hasegawa Spits compare?
The Cooper Details cockpit looks like a big improvement over the kit items.

I think the Tamiya is the better, it goes together easier.
The Cooper cockpit is very good, should look stunning when painted.

Quoted Text

I usually "pre-shade" cockpits, followed by a rough coat of the base colour (to leave a shadowed effect) and then dry-brush with a lightened version of the base colour to pull out the detail and make sure things don't get too dark.

I did this before I was really into pre-shading, but I thought afterwards that maybe I should have just sprayed from the top, with the cockpit green, to give a real shadow effect?

Quoted Text

All the best, and have a wonderful time over Christmas! Get started on that Barracuda... that should get the modelling juices flowing!!

Have a wonderful time yourself, in sunny Isle o' Wight. I might just make a start on the 'cuda, or at least attempt a review (:-)

Quoted Text

mlb63.
Holdfast i certainly agree that you can't have too many Spits.wich kite is your favourite? mine would be the mk Vb tropical.

If it's a Spitfire I love it, no real favourite :-)

Quoted Text

NTTG.
Awesome work. Inspires me to finally finish the Spitfire I have been struggling with the last 2 months. Thanks for push!

Thanks, you’re welcome. Let’s see some pics (:-)

Quoted Text

Bus.
Nice cockpit ! well done camouflage!

Thanks

Mal (:-)
 _GOTOTOP