_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Roland C.II
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 04:23 PM UTC
Just this minute I have ordered the WNW Roland C.II
I have been asked by Alexander Glass of Uschi van der Rosten If I can produce paint masks for the kit, including the "fish scale" scheme. I have always wanted to build a model of this aircraft so the answer was a definite yes
Do any of you WWI nuts have any good references for this scheme, it isn't included in the WNW kit? It is one of the options in the Eduard 1/48 scale kit but, for some reason, the instructions showing it won't print off, so can anyone scan them for me?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hi Mal

There are a couple of variations of fish-scale schemes in Windsock Datafile 49. If I remember rightly, Stephen was rather wary of Eduard's interpretation as being too neat and regular. Certainly, the ones shown look much more hand-painted.

All the best

Rowan
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:07 PM UTC
By my reckoning there is a third Roland CII on the way, a C.IIa (early). We already have the C.II and the C.IIa (late). I also reckon it will have the the fish scales aircraft as an option. Just my humble opinion, no inside knowledge at all. WNW are too clever to let a chance like that go by . . .
janhendriks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
WNW might also produce the checkered wing version as portrayed on the cover of the Windsock datafile
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2014 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hi again

I'd be very surprised if they don't... The distinct brushstrokes in the classic "scales scheme" actually lend themselves more to printing than airbrushing.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 - 05:29 PM UTC
So I need the Windsock Datafile 49, so I'll get that Eduards rendition is achieved using decals but I intend to produce paint masks for the scheme. With the method that I am considering the scale could be hand painted, but I will be air brushing them. The divisions will also, probably be neat, but I'll wait until I have the datafile. However, much like D-Day stripes, "badly" painted lines just look crap on a model.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 03:10 AM UTC
A mask of the Outline of the scales. So I can spray on the the out line and brush paint the scales. This would be nice.

Captn Tommy
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi Tom

That sounds the way to go if you use masks. Each scale seems to have two, or possibly three, tones (and who knows - maybe different colours?) applied in a stippled effect.

@ Mal - See what you think when you see the photo. There are hundreds of scales, so spraying each one individually would be my recipe for a nervous breakdown... plus I don't think it would replicate the style of the originals.

The effect is reminiscent of Carl's Albatros from 2007 - was it really that long ago!

All the best

Rowan
BoRoss78
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 12:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

There are a couple of variations of fish-scale schemes in Windsock Datafile 49. If I remember rightly, Stephen was rather wary of Eduard's interpretation as being too neat and regular. Certainly, the ones shown look much more hand-painted.

All the best

Rowan

Your mention of Stephen sent me on the hunt. The review and the discussion thread attached to it note the issue,

1/48 review
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 06:22 PM UTC
Datafile 49 is on the way

Thanks for the link to Stephen's article Bob, very useful.

Quoted Text

Mal - See what you think when you see the photo. There are hundreds of scales, so spraying each one individually would be my recipe for a nervous breakdown... plus I don't think it would replicate the style of the originals.

Rowan, with the method that I have in mind painting the scales should be quite easy We'll see

I'm also planning, now, on reproducing the checkers for the aircraft on the cover of Datafile 49, plus the set should include other schemes as well, similar to the Albatros set that I do for Uschi van der Rosten (scroll down)
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 - 07:18 PM UTC
Cheers Bob

I think it must have been elsewhere (maybe an e-mail or PM) that Stephen cast doubt on the fish-scales. I remember at the time I was disappointed, because I was really excited by Eduard's scheme, but he was right - the box-top and what you can see in his photo of the decals in the review look little like the original in the Datafile.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
When I have the data file I'll take a look and, if I can and if I feel that its worth the trouble, I'll look at making the masks so that the finish looks rougher. Personally though I'm not that fussed if its "neat", it will look cool and that's the point (as far as I'm concerned)
 _GOTOTOP