Bell YFM-1 Airacuda
Alanroy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
Good morning,
As a long time lurker who has only posted here once many years ago, I find I have a couple of questions regarding the Bell Airacuda. As there were only a dozen or so built it isn’t surprising that the reference material is a bit scarce.

In Dana Bell’s Air Force Colors, Vol. 1, 1926-1942, published by Squadron/Signal Publications in 1979, on page 67 there are 4 photos of the inside of a hanger, I believe, that display several aircraft sporting experimental camouflage schemes. One can glimpse a YFM-1 in the 2 center pictures, but in deep shadows. Are there any photos, drawings, or profiles that would give some hint of the pattern worn? I can make out dark over light, but that is about the extent of it.

In J. V. Mizrahi’s Air Corps, published by Sentry Publications in 1970, on page 115 it mentions that several were part of the 23rd Composite Group on submarine patrol out of Orlando, Florida, in the October 1941 to January 1942 time frame. Would the aircraft have retained the natural metal finish, or been in a camouflage scheme of some sort? It was a time of flux, so either would be feasible.

And yes, I bought both of these books new, 35 and 44 years ago!

Aside from these 2 tomes I cannot find anything specific ever published regarding the plane, at least as far as something other than natural metal finish is concerned.

Thank you in advance for any direction you can provide.

Best regards,
Alan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:58 PM UTC
I actually have both of those books myself. J. V. Mizrahi’s "Air Corps" is rare, but a good resource. My assumption is that if Dana Bell hasn't uncovered better pictures of an "Airacuda" in camo, nobody will.
Alanroy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thank you. Of course maybe Mr. Bell wasn't looking for anything new. One can always hope.
Regards,
Alan
Alanroy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
Of course I could always do this. It's real, isn't it?

linkname
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 10:21 AM UTC
Even if its a what-if it would be awesome. That post card is good enough reason to make a model. nothing wrong with what-if anyway. we sometimes do entire campaigns of what-if here.

Alanroy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Even if its a what-if it would be awesome. That post card is good enough reason to make a model. nothing wrong with what-if anyway. we sometimes do entire campaigns of what-if here.

Yeah, it looks like I may have to get 2 or 3 more kits, one for each scheme or potential scheme.
 _GOTOTOP