_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
genuine ww1 german lozenge
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:12 AM UTC
here you go people some genuine ww1 german lozenge ... lots of it, faded and fragile...

paul
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
Paul,
Got my curiosity; where is this stuff, how did you get the photo. and when?????
Cheers,
Lance
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
Where? When? In the background: An OXO label, a container for 'Merlin Farts,' the code OM6T2.
A wooden model on the floor (a four engined design?). Oh. And a rudder and fin of something Bristol-like.

Your insight, Watson..?
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC
Is it doped, recovered from a captured machine? Or is it 'unused.'
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Got my curiosity; where is this stuff, how did you get the photo. and when?????
Cheers,
Lance

hi, raf museum, with my camera,yesterday

apparently its going to be put on display in one of the upcoming exhibitions, i wasn't able to unfold it, but they were quite happy for me to take these pictures.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where? When? In the background: An OXO label, a container for 'Merlin Farts,' the code OM6T2.
A wooden model on the floor (a four engined design?). Oh. And a rudder and fin of something Bristol-like.

Is it doped, recovered from a captured machine? Or is it 'unused.'

Your insight, Watson..?

that would be merlin Parts i was at the RAF museum where they are getting pieces ready for the upcoming exhibitions. i was told it is partialy doped/painted but unused. it is very faded and fragile.

paul
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 08:26 PM UTC
p.s. the whole top surface of a starboard lower Fokker D.VII wing.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC
This photo is really neat. Notice the black lozenge out line. Now look at the Yellow bleed through (the most obvious) and how out of register it is. This means the black outline was used to set up the other print rollers like an offset printing press.

For those who do not know printing (paper or cloth) Register means the alignment of the of all the colors to make the proper pattern. If you have a four color patern you have a line of four roller printers each with an individual color, and your cloth goes through the line of rollers coming out the end of the line as a complete print. The Linen was probaly preprinted; a single roller with the black pattern, then this pattern roll was fed through the four roller printer and the rollers were adjusted the make sure the proper pattern/color filled the proper black outline.

Why is it out of register? Since looking at the actual print shows it is in color register (all the colors line up) the cloth probably stretched as it went through the printer. And thats the story.

What we also see is the back of the cloth, the actual colors of the inside of a D-VII or VII! how lucky can we be to see this photo. If the photo is displayed hopfully we can see a display that shows both the front and back of the fabric.

Once again maybe too much information.
Irregardless, Enjoy,
Captn Tommy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:49 AM UTC
Mould & oxidized.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This photo is really neat. Notice the black lozenge out line. Now look at the Yellow bleed through (the most obvious) and how out of register it is. This means the black outline was used to set up the other print rollers like an offset printing press.

For those who do not know printing (paper or cloth) Register means the alignment of the of all the colors to make the proper pattern. If you have a four color patern you have a line of four roller printers each with an individual color, and your cloth goes through the line of rollers coming out the end of the line as a complete print. The Linen was probaly preprinted; a single roller with the black pattern, then this pattern roll was fed through the four roller printer and the rollers were adjusted the make sure the proper pattern/color filled the proper black outline.

Why is it out of register? Since looking at the actual print shows it is in color register (all the colors line up) the cloth probably stretched as it went through the printer. And thats the story.

What we also see is the back of the cloth, the actual colors of the inside of a D-VII or VII! how lucky can we be to see this photo. If the photo is displayed hopfully we can see a display that shows both the front and back of the fabric.

Once again maybe too much information.
Irregardless, Enjoy,
Captn Tommy

i wasn't able to open it out but there was a doped surface but i was told it was unused.....i think this is the back so the black outlines may line up on the top surface?
when it goes on display i'll get more pix and info.

paul
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:28 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP