_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
recribing panels lines over Tamiya Filler.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hi All
A quick question:
Is a trick to rescribing panel lines in Tamiya Putty white,without it chipping.

I'm working on the Tamiya 1/72nd Intruder and have put the wings down rather than folded,by the time they were filled and sanded(don't get me started)I lost some panel lines and need to rescribe them however one of the first ones I did chipped a chunk out of the putty and of course I have to redo it.So before I continue I ask for advice.

Comments please.

Cheers

Chris
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 12:12 PM UTC
Sand off the tamiya white down to the plastic. Fill whatever needs filling with extra thin CA glue and then scribe the (now presumably bald) plastic.

I've yet to find a filler that's as scribable as bare plastic. Best alternative if you must is white out (liquid paper).
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
I think you can appy some very thin CA over the Tamiya putty, which will soak in saturate it. The trick is that you will have to start scribing as soon as it's hardened- the longer it sets, the harder it gets. It's easier to snad and scribe before it fully cures. Richard's right- it is the best scribe-worthy filler- I use the thick stuff to fill seams. No shrinkage!
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 - 05:17 PM UTC
Richard,Chuck
Thanks very much for the input.
CA glue worked well.

Also I think I was being a bit too soft handed with the initial sanding which may also have been why I was having so much trouble.

chris
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard,Chuck
Thanks very much for the input.
CA glue worked well.

Also I think I was being a bit too soft handed with the initial sanding which may also have been why I was having so much trouble.

chris

I scribe it while it is still wet, using he lines in the plastic as guidance. I use a needle to do this.

While sanding, i use a normal scriber to keep the lines visible.

Usually, this works like acharm.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi Chris

Another trick to try is making your own homemade filler out of CA and talcum powder. Mix it up to the consistency of toothpaste and it sticks fantastically and dries quickly, doesn't shrink, sands easily and scribes well - and, unlike neat CA, doesn't have the tendency to get too hard quickly.

To be honest, when I learned about it here, it rendered my commercial fillers redundant at a stroke for most circumstances.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP