_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airfix Customer Services ?
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi Gang,Has anyone out there had dealings with Airfix`s customer services ?.
I ask as last week end i bought their 1/24th Red Tails Mustang (Bearing in mind i had to save up for it,i`m a van driver with a family on minimum wage !) when i got home and unpacked it NOT ONLY was it short half a stabiliser but also the port main undercarriage !.
I took the kit back to the store i bought it from and they told as me it was the last one to phone the customer services department.
This i duly did only to be politely told that parts replacement was ONLY dealt with by e-mail,thereby wasting another day,this in combination with missing parts has really shaken my faith in Airfix.
Anyone been in this situation before,if so how did you get on ?.Any input on this would be appreciated.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
It's bad of them not to deal with it there and then over the phone. Must be something to do with whatever policy Hornby wants them to follow.
I can however vouch for the parts service by email. I've had plenty of bits from them that way. Even managed to get some parts for an old second hand HMS Devonshire from them. Parts usually arrive quickly and well packed.
Which reminds me, I must email them about the broken guns on my new tool FW190.

Hope this helps.

Stephen
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 - 11:05 PM UTC
Can't fault the parts department, I emailed them once for a replacement prop and decals for the old Lancaster kit and a week later they sent me the decals and the whole corner of the sprue that had all the props on them.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
Airfix/Hornby are a class act.

I damaged the decals in my Airfix 1/48 Lightning kit and a quick email and payment over the phone (only £8.00 inc P&P for an A4 sized sheet by Cartograph) and a week later, they were in my hand.

I have never had that level of service even when buying kits from other manufacturers costing 5 x the price. They should be an industry bench mark by which all other kit makers are judged in respect of their after sales.

Gary
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
They've always been brilliant.
Revell aren't too bad either, I've had spares from them in the past.
Dragon however are another story.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi there

None of which is really much help for anyone who can't e-mail Airfix. Surely they can accept snail-mail requests? They have an address on the instruction sheets...

I agree that they should have dealt with the request over the phone after you'd gone to the trouble and expense of calling.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
Do they not still put those little forms in the kits?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

The one's with "Haldane Place" on them? - Probably collector's items now! Sadly, the old Southfields factory site is totally redeveloped now.

All the best

Rowan
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:07 AM UTC
A couple of years ago I asked them to replace the clear parts on a used kit. I contacted them by e-mail and received a reasonably fast response. They had the part, But I needed to send them 3 or 3.5 Pounds for postage. Called them up, 8 hour time difference, got a cheerful young lady who took my card information and sent the parts on their way. Took less time UK to Washington than a large supplier takes from Texas to Washington.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen

The one's with "Haldane Place" on them? - Probably collector's items now! Sadly, the old Southfields factory site is totally redeveloped now.

All the best

Rowan

I can't remember the address but the ones I remember were 'Airfix Flash Service', which always sounded a bit dodgy to me
I've probably got some in a few old kits or mixed in with instructions. But none in the new boxes, just opened one up to have a look. Odd how things like that slip you by until you notice they're gone.
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hi Gang,Panic over !.The replacement parts arrived just under a week later,though it would have been nice to deal with a human voice instead of a cold internet site.
 _GOTOTOP