_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon on the flight line
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:47 PM UTC
This arrived in the post this morning:

But it isn't what it seems

Inside:

Do you know what it is?

What about now?

Now?

This should give it away

If not then this will

Thanks Steve, it is even more amazing than I expected

I will be producing camo masks, masks for the insignia and the shark mouth for the 245 Sqn machine and anything else that I can do
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:26 AM UTC
Mal,
Just knew it even before you opened the box. Knew you were getting one of those huge beasts. That's a ton of plastic. Should keep you busy for some time. Read Steve's build blog just yesterday.

BTW, how's the BF 110 coming along, or have I missed some posts?
Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
Do I see an option for 3 or 4 blade props? Does it have the Tempest tailplanes also?
FredrikA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
Amazing build and an amazing kit!
As many others already have stated; it was tempting before, but now it's irresistible!

/Fredrik
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal,
Just knew it even before you opened the box. Knew you were getting one of those huge beasts. That's a ton of plastic. Should keep you busy for some time. Read Steve's build blog just yesterday.

BTW, how's the BF 110 coming along, or have I missed some posts?
Joel

I feel privileged to have got my hands on this wonderful kit early, even though its a pre-production one the quality of it is plain to see. I feel the need to build this wheels up with a motor (which there is provision for) spinning the prop and this would be for my trade stand I wouldn't do this with a production kit and I fully intend to buy one;is it worth £99.00? Yes, its a bargain get one you will not be disappointed

The Df110 is moving on but its fighting a little I am just in the process of adding the air bottles for the cannon and that has caused me some issues! I ended up buying some HGW seat belts as the PE ones in the kit are just crap! I will post when I have the interior completed and before I button it up. I have several other models, plus now the big Tiffy on the go and finding time to even take pictures is proving difficult!

Quoted Text

Do I see an option for 3 or 4 blade props? Does it have the Tempest tailplanes also?

Yes Jessie, there are3 and 4 blade options with 3 different spinners, and 2 different fins and 2 sets of tail plane The surface detail is stunning, representing lapped panels and slight pillowing of the skin caused by the riveting, that is difficult to see in photographs but it is really well done.

When I first saw this on the Airfix stand at SMW it was obvious that they had raised the bar far above anything before it in this scale, and possibly even the Tamiya 1/32 "super kits", because this kit really does have everything, even seat belts in plastic. They are very well done but I think if I am going to add any aftermarket stuff (apart from paint masks of course)then fabric seat belts will be it
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Mal even more than ever I now want one.

I have the old Airfix Hurricane and just want to add the Tiffie so I'll make use of my Airfix club discount in June

Next a Tempest II or Sea Fury
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
I will think about taking it to the Torquay show, but I'm scared that I might lose some of it! I've asked Martin of T7 Models how much he can do me one for
 _GOTOTOP