_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Decal sheet campaign?
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 05:11 PM UTC
I don't want to run this thing or anything like that, just putting this out there...

Has anyone else ever wanted to build out an entire decal sheet? I always kind of wanted a "marathon" modelling challenge of building the same plane 5 times over but use all the different marking options on the sheet. Maybe end up with a squadron for a dio?

It would be like having my own miniture squadron at my command (insert evil genius cackle)

Good idea for a campaign or have i just been too long with the Mr. Surfacer tonight?

Thanks, Hellbent
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hellbent, I'd be up for it, as long as it was a 12 month build

Later
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:26 PM UTC
Haha, yeah it would have to be!

I thought my only personal strategy would be some inexpensive 1:72 kit... What with the bad economy and all
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
What do you think would be good candidates as far as sheets go?

I thought if i could find something for Tuskeegee Airmen or a Marine Corps Corsair squadron that would make a cool dio.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 12:19 AM UTC
I'd have to go thru my portfolio and see what I have, but I think a squadron of Corsairs or the Tuskeegee Airmen would be great.

Later
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
Not too sure that I would be up for a campaign like this. I build only in 1/48 scale. I have my favorite aircraft from most eras, but to build multiples of he same variant, and even with lets say 3 versions on the sheet, it gets to be very redundant, and quite expensive.

Joel
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
Joel, I only do 1/48 too. With the line up of campaigns right now this probably wouldn't be approved until next year. A little judicious shopping and you could probably find 3 or 4 kits of one subject relatively cheaply. Hobbylinc has 1/48 Hobby Boss Easy Build P-51's for $17.05 for instance.

To be perfectly honest tho, with the amount interest this thread has generated, I don't see it going too much forward. I hope I'm wrong on that tho. I like the idea

Later
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, I only do 1/48 too. With the line up of campaigns right now this probably wouldn't be approved until next year. A little judicious shopping and you could probably find 3 or 4 kits of one subject relatively cheaply. Hobbylinc has 1/48 Hobby Boss Easy Build P-51's for $17.05 for instance.

To be perfectly honest tho, with the amount interest this thread has generated, I don't see it going too much forward. I hope I'm wrong on that tho. I like the idea

Later

It's only been a few days. Not everyone checks in daily to see what's going on, so give it some time.

I can tell you that nearly half of the members that sign up for a campaign with a single build never finish or even start. I've been in 6 campaigns, and keeping interest going after the 1st wave of models are completed isn't an easy thing to do. they tend to be the most enthusiastic members of the campaign. Many move on to their next campaign right after they're done with their build. Also some members are involved in more then one campaign at a time, and/or have other campaigns coming up within that years span that would compete for their modeling time. It's not uncommon for a 6 month build to have guys trying to finish a single build in time as they start way too late. Trying to build multiple models in a time frame would be a major issue for some.

There was a then and now campaign which I don't think ever made it, and two modelers could build one model each.

I've help run the unofficial P61 Buddy Build, and I'm the admin or whatever we're called for the Grumman campaign. Basically, you get admin privileges, and keep things moving, settle issues if any come up like what can or can't be built for the campaign. Once you have a campaign ribbon, the work is done. I don't know how the ribbons are issued yet. So don't let not having done it before stand in your way.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a model based on price. I want the best detail and accuracy for each build I do. As an example if I built F4U Corsairs, I'd only opt for Tamiya kits. I would use Hobby Boss kits to help kit bash other variants as needed, but that's just me.

Joel
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
Everyone seems preoccupied with decal sheets containing loads of different options, look around people, there are plenty of sheets with only 1 or 2 options available. As an alternative, how about all the versions on offer on a kits own decal sheet?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 02:42 AM UTC
The other issue I can forsee is that most kits that have more than one marking option will only have one set on stencils for the kit, so in order to do a proper job you would have to get another set of stencils or marking option to do it.

Joel - I've sent you a PM with regards to awarding ribbons for when your Grummann campaign finishes.
 _GOTOTOP