_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
REVIEW
Airfix 1/24th Hawker Typhoon 1B
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:22 PM UTC
Mal Mayfield has a first look at a pre-production sample of the 1/24 scale Airfix Hawker Typhoon 1B.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC
I don't build in this scale , but this is one of those kits which one must have !

Terri
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 01:44 AM UTC
What a great ( ! ) Kit !
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 03:32 PM UTC
I must have one!
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:36 PM UTC
re: exhaust fairings, image 12 shows both the full fairings, and the smaller ones without the surround parts, so any bubbletop can be modelled accurately.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 06:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

re: exhaust fairings, image 12 shows both the full fairings, and the smaller ones without the surround parts, so any bubbletop can be modelled accurately.

Oooops, thanks Ben and my apologies. That sort of shows how under pressure I was to get this done (not of anyone's making other than my own!). I was surprised that I hadn't found them and I'm not surprised and glad that they are there. I will rewrite the script and get it updated. Thanks for taking the time to look through the pictures to find them
Biggles87
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Haute-Vienne, France
KitMaker: 57 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
I haven't built in this scale since the Airfix Harrier GR1 but I just couldn't resist putting in a pre-order with Hattons.
TheBeastman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 07:17 AM UTC
good to see our local model shop getting some much deserved exposure, mal - didn't realise you were in Cornwall
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
It's a beautifully designed kit. The only major disappointment to me is that there are essentially no moving parts lke retractable gear, sliding canopy, opening access panels, etc. I think especially in a large kit like this, those features would have added a lot more realism! I would have been more than willing to pay the price for those features! I'm hoping for a Sea Fury and a Eurofighter Typhoon as well in 24th - those kits would be totally awesome in this scale! Hopefully, Airfix will eventually produce the long -awaited 1/24th F/A-2 Sea Harrier either as a kit or a conversion set.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Neil

I agree - it does look gorgeous! 1:24 is too big for me normally, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'll make an exception for this beauty!

I disagree on the "moving parts" point though - they usually come at the expense of accuracy, so I'd rather see an accurate kit with no moving features than try to correct the compromises they so often involve. Just my take - as with all modelling styles, there's no absolute "right or wrong", simply a question of preferences.

All the best

Rowan
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
I appreciate your opinion Rowan - I just think that on a large kit like this, the compromises if any for moving parts would be a lot less - probably barely even noticeable. I have been hoping for a kit like this for years - they"ve come fairly close like with their Harrier. I have to just keep hoping.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

good to see our local model shop getting some much deserved exposure, mal - didn't realise you were in Cornwall

Hi Mat, so do you live in Truro? Yes I met Martin at Pool market and I always try and buy my kits from him. I went and helped (or got in the way) when he moved to the shop in Truro. If you are ever over Mullion way give me a shout and we can talk masks and modelling and the big Tiffie Are you going to the Torquay show? I will be there with the Bulldogs (click on my badge) and I am planning on taking this great model along with me

Quoted Text

It's a beautifully designed kit. The only major disappointment to me is that there are essentially no moving parts lke retractable gear, sliding canopy, opening access panels, etc. I think especially in a large kit like this, those features would have added a lot more realism!

Sorry Neil, I couldn't agree less, moving parts would have seriously compromised accuracy! Airfix have gone the route of accuracy over gimmicky. If the engine panels were replaceable then they would have to be made to scale thickness and include some form of closer, similar to Tamiya, which would have greatly effected the price. The route that Airfix have taken ensures financial success and that is what counts because that then means that they will do more kits to this standard. Make your choice and built it the way that you want, I will be building this one wheels up but I will be grabbing another and building it wheels down and cockpit open.The detail and accuracy of fit is a real eye opener, this kit is proving to be a joy to build
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hi Mal - I do respect your opinions about moving parts - I have been hoping to see a super-detailed large scale kit with all those features - I don't call them"gimmicks" if done the right way. Don't know if you've heard about it, but there is a 1/18th scale AV8B Harrier II coming out eventually with all these goodies - and I can't wait for it! It's actually been delayed for a long time so they can make it as accurate as possible even with all those working features. It could be a masterpiece! It would be amazing to see a n A7 Corsair II and a Mig 17 in 1/18th! Oh yes - imagine a Eurofighter typhoon in 1/18th!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Neil, and of course I respect your take on the moving parts They will probably be much easier to achieve without compromises in 1/18 scale, but the fact that the kit is delayed suggests that there may be compromises and the cost will go up because of these features. I'll be interested in how they are able to attach a stand, for the wheels up configuration, and hide this when the stand is removed? Unless it has a working engine Sorry I couldn't resist that flippant remark

Regardless about working/moving parts it is building beautifully
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi again - I do realize that there are lots of differing modeling tastes out there. While it would be nice - I don't expect every model produced to be filled with moving parts - but it would be nice to have some for those like me who want them.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC
Moving parts eventually break, and paint wears off during incessant handling; Airfix found this out, on the Spitfire, Me109 and Harrier, and thereafter dropped the idea.
Also, if you make an u/c retractable, you have to incorporate some sort of springing, otherwise either the wheels won't go into the well, due to the "weight-on" legs being too short, or the model "sits up and begs" due to the extended oleos being all wrong. The kit is complex and expensive enough, already, and any extra complications are not going to make it any cheaper.
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 06:36 PM UTC
I wouldn't mind paying more for higher quality parts that would hold up - I wouldn't be moving them every day.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
I'm sorry but I just cannot see the point?

Back to this kit, it is a magnificent piece of plastic moulding technology, buy it, yo will not be disappointed
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 04:43 AM UTC
I'm really wanting a 24th scale Sea Fury! I told the Airfix chaps at Telford. Moving parts are what got me into the hobby. Even if someone made just a couple of kits like this - that would make me happy! Another kit I think would be awesome in 24th would be an A-7 Corsair II!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 - 05:31 PM UTC
I am hoping, and expecting, that Airfix will stick to British subjects, much like Revell tend to release German aircraft. Mind you a 1/24 Corsair F-4 would be a good choice
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 05:31 AM UTC
At least my Corsair would be related to yours! There was a rumor a while back that Airfix might do that one in 24th. You know they could do a model like that which would have the capability of removing parts after assembly to put them back in different positions - like Tamiya did with their very nice Spitfire and P-51.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 05:59 PM UTC
I have updated the first look to reflect the fact that I missed a couple of things, so the kit is even better now

I should have mentioned in the look at this why I only gave it a 98%! well I am expecting that Airfix will up the standard even more next time around and I did whine a little about the instrument panel glazing
 _GOTOTOP