_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:72 Roden Pfalz D.III +Part PE set
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
Ola Guys and gals

A while ago I started another WW1 flyer. I wanted to try a PART PE set for a roden kit for a while as I bought PE from that brand for all my Roden Kits at the IPMS Nationals. My choice fell on the Pfalz D.III because it had the smallest part count on the PE fret so I thought it would be a good training.

And so the build starts. First observation. the fit between the PE cockpit and the inside of the Roden Fuselage is pretty much non existent. The fuselage has to be gutted before there is enough room for it. Second observation... The PE cockpit is mostly a one piece affair. Floor, firewall, ribs. How does PART expect a modeler to paint that? I decided to cut the ribs off the floor and attach them to the thinned out fuselage. this way it is also easier to bend them in the shape of the fuselage. And it makes painting the insides infinately easier.

It's a really tight fit inside there.

Observation #3. Thinning out the fuselage is not enough. The Engine cowling must be severely thinned out as well otherwise you can't fit the engine through the hole on top. Don't do what I did to try to push the engine through with some force because that will have to break off all the little spouts that the exhaust mounts to. And you have to replace those with Styrene. Also visible some PE work on the Top wing

Revelation #1 Maybe reading glasses are not a bad thing. Especially not for parts like this:

The first time in my life I used reading glasses and it made doing this quite easy. 4 part affair. Really tiny.

Slowly and steady the cockpit gets more and more crowded. Some bits had to be replaced with styrene because they were tiny and I bend them wrong. Or they snapped. Or simply lost.

And finally for this post. The finished Pilots throne.

So far very enjoyable. The PE can be immensely frustrating but satisfying when you come out on top as winner. Still a long way to go but a way I look forward to.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Rob ,

Will be following along on this one . The kit has it fit issue even with the PE parts added . Your seat is sitting to high in the cockpit , go one former down . PE parts are the devils details and I lose a fair bit of them , now I just really don't use them and will scratch what I need for the most part .

What scheme are you going with ?

Terri
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 08:22 PM UTC
@Terri
Thanks for your reply. And yes the kit needs quite some care and a lot of sanding to make things fit. I think I solved most issues for now. With the exception of the slot in the back of the fuselage where the tail wing should fit in which it doesn't.
I noticed the seat height as well after I took those pics. It looked odd so I checked up pics online and it was indeed too high. Luckily the seat was not glued yet so I made new cross members one rib lower for the seat to sit on and it looked much better

Colour wise I was thinking of going with the simple silver grey of Emil Thuy's Pfalz.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
Following...

Most elaborate use of PE and appreciated complexity. Thank you for allowing the non-braille scale modelers to follow along.

Tanks!

Ivan
 _GOTOTOP