_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
What's writen on the box: easy assembly UH-1C
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hello all,

Being on hollidays, and given by a friend, a 1/48 Hobby Boss UH-1C, I wanted to check wether, as it's written on the box, if it was an esay assembly - and yes, it is.

You will see where I am, after just 4 hours work.
Just a few words aboutt the kit : sure enough, a nice basis for the experienced modeller, and a kit bashing with old Monogram would certainly produce a neat result. Now, if you want to begin with Helos or do a nice quick built for your young nephew to hang in his bedroom, that's your kit.

I will go for a straight out of the box bild. The selected scheme is the Marines one, eventhough is an E model.

On with the picies :

PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC
Looking good so far. The "easy assembly" appeals to me for times when I want a less involved project but still produces a nice looking model. I am keen to try their P-38 myself. The parts count might be low but from what you have posted it looks like your painting skills are doing a good job to bring out the provided detail. I'll be following with interest.
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, Paul.

Yes details are sparse, but enough to roduce a 3 feet away good looking one.

Some parts are over simplified, like main rotor head, but indeed that is sufficient.

Now, looking at the pics, I should have thinned much more the sides of the copilot seat. Well these are glued, now, so I shall live with it.

Best,

Stef (#6)
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hello again,

Some good progress along the week on the Huey.

First, the final decoration will be "Esay Rider", a UH-1C

of the 174th HAC Sharks, in Vietnam.

I first intended to go for the Marines scheme offered in the box, but this scheme is for an "E" model, which has a fair deal of differences with a "C" (like a whinch on roof, "zigzag" UHF aerial on both sides of fuselage, and so on).

Hence, the choice of the army decoration - more, a Huey is Vietnam and that's all .

Easy rider is supposed to be a gunship, but the kit doesn't offer any kind of weaponry - that would have been interesting, as some side weapons set-up, for instance, you need to have open doors - an option the kit is not offering.

On with the pics (lotsa !)

Turbine exhaust in place. It certainly does stand a tad too much. First painted black, then Alclad Pale Gold.
Panel lines are very sharp and fine.

Working the windshield ...

Rotor head is quite simplified but from 3 feet away will certainly look cool.

Testing the clear part assembly. One of the best to date.

Fuselage closed, on for the putty. Nothing very important, just smoothing things.

And the canopy is set : almost no seams at all.

Close-up view -the horns are to be removed, not installed on Easy Rider.

Some black to really avoid any transparency and for the anti-glare panel in front of the windshield.

And some Olive Drab. Fisrt layer is with Gunze Acrylics #78, a colour intended for US Tanks. It is darker than
aircraft OD, which will come at the next step.

Well, that's all for now, if you have any comment feel free !

Stef (#6)

Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hello,

Happy hollidays to you all,

This bult began many moons ago and I've been busy with a few other things since hen, however, it is now complete.

Painting was done using various shades of Gunze Olive drab,a little weathering with red ochre pigments to render a bit of Vietnam laterite red, and that's it, while the shark teeth were painted over, there is no way that the kit decals can conform on the nose.

Even though I've been using Gunze blue extra thin cement, I managed to spill some on the left door glazing.

I hope you'll like this one.

Crits and comments most welcome.

Stef (#6)

An album is available here : https://plus.google.com/photos/117017110431608096165/albums/6096841226728581697

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
That's a good looking Huey, whether or not is is easy to build. The finish looks great!
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC
I agree! The finish looks very authentic, and the end result looks a Huey, and a good one.

Cheers
Pedro
Stef_6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
France
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2014 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hello boys,

Thanks for the kind words, glad you like the Huey.

It was really easy to build, with a few place needig a tad of putty, but in the whole it was very straight forward.

Best,

Stef (#6)
 _GOTOTOP