_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Luftwaffe mottle. Advice needed.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I'm in need of some advice from Luftwaffe experts. With Airfix's new FW190 and Bf109 in the stash, I got to thinking about how the mottle patterns on fuselage sides were applied. I've never been able to get my head round how precisely it was painted. Looking at others models, wartime photos and colour profiles I have three ideas.
Number 1) The mottle follows the pattern of the upper solid block. In this case green mottle under green and grey mottle under grey.

Number 2) The mottle was sprayed with one of the upper solid colours.

And Number 3) A random spraying of both upper colours.

Are any of these likely or were there other possible combinations? It's been a long time since I did a Luftwaffe subject and I feel a little out of touch with it all. Allied schemes are just so much easier
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Not that I think of myself as a luftwaffe expert or anything like it, but i am a fanatic builder and collector for sure

You are correct with any of those mottle colours schemes.
From what I know (reading and watching countless photos, although mostly being B&W are open to discussion...) early mottle was more your #3 option using 71/70 or 70/02 for mottle colour.
02 was still used in conjuction with 74/75 greys latter in the war.

As for 1944/45 camos I don't put my money on any "regular" or more common mottle colours. Add late war poor homogeneous paint pigments to the equation and it's just crazy.
Have fun, there are sooo many spots out there

Cheers
Pedro
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 11:02 AM UTC
Thanks for your input Pedro.
I have to admit I do favor the random pattern and I did notice it seemed to be more common on early war types.
I'll try all three and see how they turn out. I've got some of Humbrols new RLM enamels on order from my LHS so should have all the colours I need.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 06:05 PM UTC
Not being an expert, my understanding is that either 2 or 3 or 4: Mottle in a different color than the two topside camocolors, were all possible. Mottle was usualy applied in the field / after delivery to a unit, so whatever paint was available and deemed useful could be used.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks Erik.
I was never really sure if cammo was applied at unit level after delivery. That does give us a lot more freedom (to some extent of course) in how mottle was applied.
Based on your recommendation of a fourth scheme, I knocked up this one in paint. Based on RLM 74/75/76 colours. The grey mottle is a slightly lighter shade to the topside.

Suggestions are welcome.
Stephen
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Complementing the info regarding where the mottle was effectively applied, it is know that sometimes even factory schemes had them (there is a serial batch of bf.109 G that had a distinct pattern, Erla built if not mistaken- or just think of nightfighters, with all those specks freshly out of the assembly lines), unit level and repair depot level. These repair units could reverte entire colour schemes

Cheers
Pedro
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help.
I've now got a couple of of 109's and 190's in the stash. Got a few campaign builds to finish and then I'll have a go and do some experimenting to see how the various mottles look on plastic.
I'm starting to realise why I always find allied aircraft easier to paint, they were more 'by the book' and simpler.
 _GOTOTOP