_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
A project I've been kicking around
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 01:29 AM UTC
As one project is winding down, I've begun to think about another one, because after all, idle hands and all that.

Anyway, in my researches for potential building projects, I stumbled upon a program that was performed by the EDO corporation, dealing with hydrofoil equipped aircraft.

Never having heard of this before, I became intrigued, especially when I found out that they experimented with the Grumman Goose, a lovely lady I have experience working on as a mechanic in years past.

The model Goose they used was the OA9, and it so happened that I bought a Lindberg kit of the OA9 some time before.

So, I broke out the kit to get some familiarization with it, and discovered a few "interesting" aspects of the kit.

First off, the prop has rivets, which came as a big surprise to me, because as an A&P, I have never seen a prop that's been riveted, and the props on the model themselves are more like slightly shaped pieces of lumber of the 2x12 variety, at least if you scaled them up.

Those discrepancies, a small matter, as some sanding is always welcome, and I know how to carefully scrape with a blade to shave things down.

The other discrepancy I found were the nacelles and engines. Apparently, whoever designed the kit thought that radial engine jugs were little rectangular objects that kind of stick out, have some fins, and nothing else, and the cowl is something like a foot or so thick on the full size Goose.

Those I can also deal with, not only with a lot of dremel tool grinding(carefully), but with a coupld resin 985s from any of the fine purveyors of after market resin engine(I'm partial to Vector, although Engines and Things are pretty good, too, and a bit cheaper).

I know that the Lindberg kit is kind of old, and that there is another 1/48 Goose on the market that is better, but the overall lines of this are pretty good, as long as I'm willing to put up with the afore mentioned squawks.

But a flying boat on hydrofoils. To me, the visualization of what I'd end up with makes any discrepancies pale in comparison.

Here are a few links so you guys and gals might be able to get a better idea as to what I am talking about, and perhaps someone might like to build one too.

A 1/32 scale model would be awesome, by the way.

http://www.seaplanes.org/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=1

Here is a youtube video.

http://youtu.be/yolgS1bn7P8

Also, wouldn't a quarter scale model of the Ekranoplan be a sight to behold?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 - 02:30 AM UTC
Max,
What an unusual aircraft project. Should make for a fascinating blog to follow.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP