_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Has there been a model of this built?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC
Ever since I first saw it in the 1977 edition of Jane's All the World's Aircraft, I have always wondered what kind of model the M15 Belphegor would build into, and a few years ago, started wondering if anyone would even attempt to build this in any scale.

Now, as a crop duster, this noisy demon(because that's what the original namesake was) wasn't very successful, although from the beginning, there were a number of variants planned, including an air ambulance and a chemical weapon applicator.

And realistically, it just isn't pretty, although the high aspect ratio wings do hold a certain amount of charm, if you were around sailplanes a lot.

But as a modelling subject, it is so homely that it is charming and tends to grow on you, especially when you consider not only those huge pylon/struts tying the wings together as well as doubling for chemical hopper tanks, but also the over the fuselage intake for the engine way up in the clouds.

And if you want something even stranger, there was the Lala-1, which was an An2 with the after fuselage removed and replaced with a set of interconnected struts to provide something for the jet engine that was intended for the M15, to be attached to.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
I found one being scratchbuilt on a Russian forum. (That's a link to Google translate, so the language is a little clunky)
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 08, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
That looks pretty good.

With a 77 foot wingspan, even at 72nd scale, it looks like it'd make for a good sized model.

While there are photos of it as a crop duster, it might make for an interesting part of a possible diorama in military colors as a chemical weapon dispersal aircraft.

Something in a sand, stone, and spinach camouflage paint scheme.
 _GOTOTOP