_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A pair of Snipes
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hi folks. It's been a while since I've done built something with wings, much less 2 of them. Started 2 WNW Snipes for a set 3 commission builds, the 3rd is a harry Tate.

So far I have to say these are even nicer than the Albatros and Roland builds in that the cockpit assembly was a drop in fit without and fidgeting that I needed to do with the others. Fit has been PERFECT.

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Wood grain "scratched" in with a toothpick and then blended a bit.

Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
I like them!

"Wood grain "scratched" in with a toothpick" is a very good idea. I will try that.

Regards.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC
Thanks Louis. i just got one of the new Rolands for Father's Day so I may try that on the fuselage.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 12:51 PM UTC
Very impressive work here. Like the attention you gave to details, namely the engine. That wood technique seems effective and simple enough to give it a try someday.

Keep it up
Cheers
Pedro
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Great interior work - always wanted to try a true dual build, but one always seem to outpace the other after a while...

As noted, excellent technique for the wood grain! Continuing to watch with interest.

Cheers!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Marc

Simply gorgeous! I love the wood-grain effect, although it may be a tad dark - possibly just how it comes out in photos. That's definitely a technique I'll try variations of for myself! The engines look superb!

All the best

Rowan
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:45 PM UTC
Pedro, Ivan, Rowan... thanks a lot guys.

I agree Rowan it is a bit on hark side, but, it is a bit darker in the pic that the 1:1. Maybe an ocher instead of a sienna next time.
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:11 PM UTC
These should look stunning once built .... and I'll add my thumbs up for the woodgrain idea too. Definitely something I'll try ........

cheers
Brent
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi Marc,

To quote Merlin;
Quoted Text

Simply gorgeous! I love the wood-grain effect...The engines look superb!

Not to be lazy, I just can't add much more other than I think I'll throw out all of my models and start building these!
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
Brent, Frederick... thanks fellas.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 06:48 PM UTC
A very nice start Marc, I won't comment on the wood graining, nuff said The Snipe and the RE.8 are too kits that I would like to have. I have several WNW kits and have started 2 but I have not got further than the very first stages. That is due to the fact that I have more pressing things that I have to do, rather than any problems with the kits. I am itching to crack on with them
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hi Mal. Sorry for the long wait for the saying thanks. Get back to those WNW kits. You won't regret it.

And I know all about pressing matters. Been a busy summer work wise. Bench time is counted in minutes these days. Hope to make even more progres with the long weekend.

Be that as it may, work has been done. Every part that need clean up has had it and just waiting there turn. Most are sitting on a big Styrofoam block and their own little alligator clip waiting for paint. WHICH HAS BEGUN! I am starting on E8015 which has a green (PC10) fuselage, brown (PC12) upper wing, and clear doped linen lower wings. This is why the wings are being done separately. The other bird is all sliver doped so the lower wing has already been attached.

Since the brown wraps around the LE a tiny bit the wings were used to make tape masks.

I know I asked in another thread about whether or not the ribs would be seen form below and the answer was really no. A lot of people read that and didn’t add anything so I guess it really is a no. Still and all... I had this idea in my head for a look and we hoping for a yes to my question and wanted to give it a try. So I did it anyway.

First is a base coat of Tamiya deck tan with the tiniest drop of black to darken. The ribs and spar are taped and an uneven coat of deck tan made fairly light fills in all the spaces. Then some straight deck tan was sprayed following the tape hold the AB far enough away to just straddle the tape with overspray.

My cabane jig worked so well on the Albatros and the Roland I figured… what the heck. Let’s give it a go again.

Tamiya tape was used to transfer the cabane strut holes to a piece of sheet plastic.

Plastic rod starts the process of keeping everything square.

To make the rigging easier I plan to run a single line from wing to wing through the control surfaces. But the hole did not line up when I drilled though 1 of the molded holes. So I filled one side with plastic rod that was chiseled of so only one hole showed after I drilled through.

A little bit more painting and the wings will be going on his guy.
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 06:20 PM UTC
Marc, amazing is all I can say!

Speaking of the wood grain effect, would you please consider doing a how-to step by step feature on that sometime? I think the crowd response is proof that you sure have something there. A person could use that technique a lot of different places in a lot of different types of modelling.

Thanks, Hellbent
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
Thanks hellbent. Not sure what I an add to the pictures already posted though.

Gettin' ready to go to a big BBQ so I tried to get as much in as I could beofre the hands are too shaky to trust

This can sit for awile and really cure while I work on it's brother.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
Wow very well done. I might just have to build one of these two winged birds yet.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 01:32 PM UTC
Careful Matt, could become a habit!!!
Cheers,
(Uncle) Lance
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Careful Matt, could become a habit!!!
Cheers,
(Uncle) Lance

That's always been my fear. Maybe you only say I'm calling 'during dinner' to protect me.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 11:58 PM UTC
Matt, to paraphrase a Jedi Master..

There is build or build not, there is no might.

And these are like potato chips. Betcha can't build just one!
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
The painting continues… finished really and the gloss coats are dry as we speak…er...type.

1st to do was spray the lighter toned silver, taping the ribs then the color coat it was time for some shading. The perfect tool for that is the trusty Post-It. But… put the airbrush, down… place the post-it… pick up the AB…spray a little darker tinted silver… put AB down again… move the post-it… 44 TIMES. I think I did 3 ribs before I said the heck with that. It took just a few minutes to overlap them so all I had to do was peel the next one off and keep going.

A quick spray centered over the mask and Bob’s your uncle. Shading done.

As I was clear coating I noted a gash in the paint on one of the fuselage. Nothing sanding, painting and cursing can’t handle. Gonna get a few decals down tonight.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
It's nice to get to one of those milestone points that is often discussed in the "What's your favorite part of the build?" threads. This is the pint where I start to think that the list of things to do to completion really starts to get shorter.

1st time I've used Tamiya clear for the gloss coat under the decals and now a permanent part of the process.

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi gang. Finally got something to post.

The alignment jig worked it magic once again. The cabanes were inserted into their respective hole in the fuselage and left loose. On a WNW "loose" only means not glued since they are anything but loose. The jig is put in place and some minor adjustments made. Looking from a few angles to confirm the extensions are straight and square a drop of thin CA is pout at the base of each strut. The upper wings just drops n place perfectly.

A few mock up pick with the upper wing set in place. 8015 has the wings faded with a dot filter and some streaking on the fuselage with some AK Streaking Grime. Hard to see in the pics. The silver bird needs some of that next. It'll be time for rigging before you know it.

wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 03:35 AM UTC
Barely time for bui9lingd so less time for posting but did manage to get the 2 Snipes built.

I just need to fix the rigging on the trainer at the front since it's coming out of the wr0ong hole on the fuselage.

_GOTOTOP