raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 12:16 AM UTC
Okay,

I have another question....LOL.

I recently picked up an Otaki 1/48 P-40E kit. Well its missing the clear parts. All of the canopy is missing.

I have checked into AM canopy and Squadron does make one, but its my understanding that it does not come with the side panels for the canopy.......just the front two parts.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps someone knows of another AM canopy that will be a complete one?

I could also post a looking for post to find an original Otaki P-40E canopy (which is what I would rather have) but thats prob slim to impossible to get.

Thanks
Spence
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi Spence,

Once I had the Otaki P-40. I will look to see if I can find a canopy. If you don't hear back from me in a few days, remind me via PM.
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Spence,

Once I had the Otaki P-40. I will look to see if I can find a canopy. If you don't hear back from me in a few days, remind me via PM.

Thanks a Million!
That would solve everything. )

Spence
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 11:47 AM UTC
If you want one I will send it to you. I have numerous copies of this kit, and will never build them all. Send me a message off line if interested.

Be forewarned that the kit had been criticized heavily for one major flaw: "The worst part of this kit is the wing which is swept to the rear on the leading edge. No P-40 ever had a airfoil shape like this and to fix it would probably require a whole new wing." http://hsfeatures.com/features04/p40eew_1.htm

But hey, I have one built-up P-40E that's a gen-u-ine Otaki. No great shakes I assure you! It has to be 25 years old if it's a day, but it still looks like a P-40:

FYI the kit is still available, for a song, under the Arii/Microace name. http://www.hlj.com/product/ARIA332/Air

One of these days I'll build a Hasegawa version from the bad old days in Java in early 1942.
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thanks Brian!
I have to be honest........I did not know that about the Otaki kit. But since I would still like to build it, I will live with it. I dont know why........but I sort of want to build all the Otaki kits. I have a second P-40 kit that I will build for accuracy. This will be a quick stress relieving build!

Thanks!
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
Howdy,

I like the Otaki kit. It's cheap and looks like a P-40. I have a few in the stash that I use leftovers from Hasegawa and AMT kits.

Here's one I finished as a P-40N using a Medallion Models conversion set.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x99/guzbro/World%20War%20Two%20Aircraft%20Models/otakip-40-1_zps834511d2.jpg

Brian Riedel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 03:53 PM UTC
Oh, I think it's a worthwhile build. "There is no perfect model." Cf. The latest Eduard Bf-109G-6. It's a good OOB candidate with some modest cockpit upgrades, and easy to put together. As I said, it looks like a P-40, and there are plenty of others to do for accuracy. And honestly, building some of the old ones and making them look good has great nostalgia value.

I also like the old Otaki kits. Their F6F-3 still looks good on the shelf, though I will probably upgrade the prop one of these days.

A great pleasure for me has been rebuilding some of my first efforts from the 80s, like the Tamiya A6M2 and the Nichimo B5N2 Kate.

Good luck with it.

_GOTOTOP