_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
New Airfix 1/72 C-47 Vs Italeri
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 03:28 PM UTC
I see that Airfix has launched a "new tool" C-47. I've seen part count of 147 which would make it new indeed. A C-47 is high on my list and I've already got the 1/72 Italeri. However, I've learned that a newer model might be more detailed but also a cleaner build. Has anyone run into the new Airfix?

Eric
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 04:38 PM UTC
There's a fairly extensive discussion going on over at the Airliner Modellers' Digest. The consensus developing is that the new Airfix kit is superior to the Italeri in many areas, and inferior in others.

No model kit is ever perfect, but this one is looking good so far.

Britmodeller has a look inside the box in their reviews section.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 07:49 AM UTC
Eric I have the Italeri AC-47 in the stash and looking at those pictures the Airfix Dakota looks to be a very different beast. It does look stunning, if a little over complex. What are Airfix thinking about moulding the wing roots seperate? It certainly has more options (skis, loading ramp) than the Italeri. Personally I think the paneling is heavy handed on a lot of new Airfix and reminds me of olde Matchbox kits, and this one is no exception. The engines also look very basic and no better than those in the Italeri. Easy to replace, but we expect better in 2014. I'm also disappointed that Airfix did not include Invasion Stripes on the decal sheet. I find them to be total swines to paint, especially around curved fuselages. Am I put off? No. I'm eagerly awaiting the RAF boxing with the Jeep. I'm interested to see how they build against each other, but I am guessing that the Italeri will be the simpler and easier of the two.

SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
I don't mind the "heavy" panel-lines. If you brush paint a bit too much is better than too little. (Airfix create modelkits who's suppose to appeal to all ages, and most kids don't use an airbrush!)

You can to some extent control how prominent they appear by the way you wash and weather the plane.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 11:21 AM UTC
That
is a fair point. I've also heard it said that the texture of the
plastic is supposed to help Acrylic paint to adhere better. Not sure of
the truth of that though.
It's only a minor quibble but I do wish they would be a bit more
restrained with the engraving, but then again no company is going to
please everyone with their new releases. Anyway, back on topic anybody seen the Airfix Dakota in the flesh yet?
ebergerud
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 12:53 PM UTC
Thanks much. Sounding like I should stick with the Italeri. I'm sending it to New Guinea so intend to give it a very heavy weather and can maybe hide some weak points with exhaust or dirt. (Not the first time.)

I've done two straight planes with masked invasion stripes. It was easier than I thought thanks to the stripes odd history. As security was extremely strict before D-Day, the stripes were put on aircraft across England by ground crew using whatever was at hand. Here's a Spit:

This means the stripes can be a little irregular - probably should be - and can be hand brushed which really reduces the chance of having black paint seeping onto white. So I made the plane, gave it a proper weathering and put the stripes (and decals - I didn't want to paint around them as would have been proper) on at the end of the build. That means the stripes are essentially unweathered and have a different texture: kind of interesting really. Decals would be easier if they'e well done I suppose, but I think they'd be too perfect. Here's a P-51 MKIII (Polish) I made a few weeks back for the D-Day Group Build on Finescale. (I didn't realize that there was no exterior antenna with the Malcom Hood, so I removed it after the photo.)
Eric
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
Sounds like it should be a good project Eric, post plenty of pics of the build.

I've seen some shocking examples of invasion stripes on old wartime photo's. My favourite has to be a Marauder that has the stripes in reverse order one wing. It's tricky to make a realistic looking 'sloppy' paint job but I think you nailed it on your Mustang.
 _GOTOTOP