_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/48 Academy F-4B Marine "Rhino"
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 09:00 AM UTC
Here are a few casual shots of my recently completed Phantom done as an early F-4B using optional parts included in the Academy kit. Decals are Furball Aero-design including the stenciling.

A full build article will be appearing in the September issue of Airfix Model World.

Cheers,
Eric
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 09:32 AM UTC
Eric,
What an outstanding build of a great kit. It's really nice to see the 'Toon in other markings besides the kit SunDowners, which si the decal version I did. Those decals look fantastic. Did you make those intake covers? They really look good.

Interesting loads out. You used the two 350 gallon wing tanks but not the 600 gallon centerline tank, which is correct, as I've seen that general configuration a few times while researching F-4B loads.

I'm not that familiar with all the various weapons being a long time prop guy, just what are those three silver weapons loaded on the centerline?

Looking forward to seeing your article.

Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

Thank you for those very kind comments. The FOD covers are by AMS Resin and though intended for the Monogram and Hasegawa kits, with some trimming fit the Academy kit just fine. The Remove Before Flight markings were sourced from my decal spares.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams48014red.htm

The silver canisters are Mk. 77 napalm bombs, these being by True Details.

The load-out was inspired by several photos found in a couple books on USMC Phantoms (Squadron/Signal and Osprey)

Cheers,
Eric
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 03:34 AM UTC
Nice looking Phantom Eric ! I really like how the panel lines look. Would you mind sharing your technique on how you did them ?
Thanks
Tom
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking Phantom Eric ! I really like how the panel lines look. Would you mind sharing your technique on how you did them ?
Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,
Thanks! I'm always happy to share how I did anything but for now I can't go into a lot of detail until after the article comes out. But, in a nutshell, I used a home-brewed sludge wash of pigment, distilled water, and liquid dish soap.

Cheers,
Eric
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
Great work Eric!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 09:27 AM UTC
Eric,
I keep on reading about guys using dishwashing detergent for breaking the tension with decal solutions, but this is the 1st time I've heard it in connection with a water based sludge wash. I really have to try it.

Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
I keep on reading about guys using dishwashing detergent for breaking the tension with decal solutions, but this is the 1st time I've heard it in connection with a water based sludge wash. I really have to try it.

Joel

Hi Joel,

You don't need much. I just mix the wash as needed in a small dish - roughly a tablespoon of water, a pinch of weathering pigment (chalk pastel dust works well too) and a small drop or two of detergent.

That's pretty much all the various commercial washes are but this way you have full control over the density and colors.

Now, here's where I learned about this technique!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_zcVbmSD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCueONhuko

Here's another good vid on oil based washes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfsFGZbiDLM

Cheers,
Eric

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Eric, a masterpiece, looks very nice, with interesting
markings and a "nice" bomb load, napalm in the morning ?

Bernd
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 01:32 AM UTC
Eric,
Thanks for the links. Will certainly check them out. One can never learn enough techniques when it comes to weathering.
Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
Thanks for the links. Will certainly check them out. One can never learn enough techniques when it comes to weathering.
Joel

You're welcome! It's always fun to learn and try new things. Especially when they work well.

Eric
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 01:21 AM UTC
Eric,
One last thing about the markings. There are no intake walkways "painted" on the tops of the intakes that usually run from the front of the intakes to just past the end of the wings trailing edge. Was that common for that squadron and or carrier group?
Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
One last thing about the markings. There are no intake walkways "painted" on the tops of the intakes that usually run from the front of the intakes to just past the end of the wings trailing edge. Was that common for that squadron and or carrier group?
Joel

Hi Joel,
Good question! I don't know specifics about when or for which aircraft those walkways were used but the decal instructions (Furball) specifically stated they were not on this particular aircraft. The time period for mine is 1966 and land based at DaNang.

You might find this period photo interesting. The walkways are clearly visible on one aircraft at the right, with the VE tail code, but none of the others appear to have them.
Also note the VMFA-323 aircraft have not yet had the snakes applied to the tails.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/F-4Bs_VMFA-115_323_DaNang_Jan1966.jpg

Cheers,
Eric
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel,
Good question! I don't know specifics about when or for which aircraft those walkways were used but the decal instructions (Furball) specifically stated they were not on this particular aircraft. The time period for mine is 1966 and land based at DaNang.

You might find this period photo interesting. The walkways are clearly visible on one aircraft at the right, with the VE tail code, but none of the others appear to have them.
Also note the VMFA-323 aircraft have not yet had the snakes applied to the tails.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/F-4Bs_VMFA-115_323_DaNang_Jan1966.jpg

Cheers,
Eric

Eric,
That photo is fantastic. You're 101% correct that all but one of the F-4B's doesn't have those walkways. I also notice the vast array of loads that varies aircraft to aircraft.
Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
That photo is fantastic. You're 101% correct that all but one of the F-4B's doesn't have those walkways. I also notice the vast array of loads that varies aircraft to aircraft.
Joel

Yup, USMC Phantoms were hung with all manner of interesting things. I referred to these two books often during my build. Plenty of great photos showing all kinds of loads including the exact one seen on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Marine-Phantom-Vietnam-Combat-Aircraft/dp/1849087512

http://www.amazon.com/USMC-Phantoms-Combat-Vietnam-Studies/dp/0897472357

Eric
 _GOTOTOP