_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Shuttleworth Triplane Crackup
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 03:41 PM UTC
http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=167647
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 04:38 PM UTC
"Oh dear."
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 04:50 PM UTC
no one was hurt, and it made for a an interesting video...good thing the pilot was out of microphone range...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 02:11 AM UTC
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 02:53 AM UTC
whilst its never good to see this sort of thing happen, it really does show how fragile these machines were , even without someone chucking bullets at you!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:13 AM UTC
The damage does look relatively minor, and repairable. I am glad no one was hurt.

Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC
I am just wondering why a place to land a plane would have all them fences and poles around it (in the background). Glad it was one of them 'any landing you can walk away from is a good landing' moment.

Cheers to the pilot
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am just wondering why a place to land a plane would have all them fences and poles around it (in the background). Glad it was one of them 'any landing you can walk away from is a good landing' moment.

The wind blew him far off the landing area. It's a lot wider than it looks in that shot due to the foreshortening effect of the lens.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 12:58 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Welcome back. A touch-n-go, or will you be tying down?
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers to the pilot

Ive been to Old Warden where the Shuttleworth collection is based (not too far from us) and it is a fairly decent sized strip for the collection to use. Like most of the smaller private aerodromes over here its in the middle of the countryside and things have built up round it over the years. Some of my friends that I fly R/C aircraft with have an R/C club that fly from there as well.
Shame about the cross wind causing landing problems and hopefully it will be repaired and back in the air fairly quickly.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 08:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen,
Welcome back. A touch-n-go, or will you be tying down?

Just a flyby Fred. Have several irons in the fire. Working on some old manuscripts. Several publishers want me to do reviews and the Vintage Aero Flying Museum needs my help as well. I had to take out a tree in my front yard to clear a shaded area so my solar panels would function at a higher level (I should have done solar years ago. . .so much savings.) That was a bit of a chore even with a chainsaw.

I am having to relearn computer code (CSS) to get my website back up. Working with getting handicapped people out in the community - nonprofit organization and a new part time job. Also I just dropped some images down for another fellow's (German historian)manuscript. Had to do some formatting. I have three imaging programs now that do so much to clear up old photos.

AND! I just sat down last night and worked on three builds I have in progress. No worries about me. Just wish I could hit the lottery. Nothin but luv 4 U awl! JackFlash out bound at angels two. . .
 _GOTOTOP