_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
REVIEW
1:48 F-101A/C Voodoo
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC
Kitty Hawk's latest quarterscale kit is the F-101A/C - the first in a series of new-tool Voodoo kits.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC
Good looking molding overall. Looks like it can build up into a centerpiece model. Aeroscale has a former F-101 pilot amongst us, I'd like to know his thoughts on the kit.

The Voodoo was a fighter-bomber? I didn't know that.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi Fred

I've promised Glen Coleman I'll tackle this beast for a Full-Build. Following up one of his e-mails led me to one rather critical review rather moaning that "nothing fits" - so, seeing as my test-fit was quite promising, I think it's doubly important to build the kit once I've cleared the decks a bit.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
Rowan,
I've seen mixed reviews on this kit, with way too many points of view from modelers who never built, tested fitted, nor measured the kit. From the one build I'm currently following, the kit does build up into an impressive F-101A. There really aren't major fit issues, but there are a few that will require some work to correct. Sink marks abound, and many are very deep and quite noticeable. Some small points make little sense like the front gear ground lights being solid, so you'll have to drill them out. Another point is the formation lights that are molded on, and are way too thick.

Personally, I'll be buying the B version before the A version, as it's my favorite F-10l.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Joel

Yes, I highlighted the sink marks in my review, but my impression from the dry-test was that overall fit seemed better than in some of the "modular" Kitty Hawk kits I've seen previously due to sharper-moulded edges. Once I've got a few more reviews published I'll treat myself to some time at the workbench and get started on the Voodoo to form a firm opinion for myself.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 03:23 AM UTC
Rowan,
Sounds like a solid plan. I'll be following along. Like I said, I'm really interested in the B version. And at the alarming rate that my stash has grown lately, I need to make a conscience effort to control myself.

Just a few days ago I headed down to my LHS for a few supplies. Got the supplies for less then $15, but also heard that "voice" again, and left with a rather large box labeled Hobby Boss 1/48 scale N/AW A-10 for a mere $78 plus tax. My self imposed limit is 12 kits in the stash. I now have 11. Still on the to buy list is both Cougars and the Panther. That will make me +2 And automatically shut down my purchasing till I'm under my max.

Joel
pria2022
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
This is much-needed in 1/32nd!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 04:45 PM UTC
Nice looking kit overall. Is it just me or does the registry on the decals look a bit off.....a little grainy as well. Nasty looking sink marks but I have a feeling the right man is about to tackle this one.
 _GOTOTOP