_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Strombecker's Pinto: Out of Box review!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 08:58 AM UTC
You know the old saying “They don’t make ‘em like they used to”? Well, I’m pretty sure that its true. For better or worse, modelling has come a long way and evolved considerably since plastic replaced wood as the main model building medium of choice for hobbyists.

I know that, when we see the variety and quality of kits offered today, compared with the rather sketchy quality of the kits from years ago, it’s hard for many of us to imagine going back to “the good old days” without photoetch, resin and all the CAD/CAM beauty of modern moulding technology. However, I really feel that as the kits get better and more sophisticated, and more expensive, we lose something as modellers. Sure, we can afford fewer kits and maybe we scare away new builders. However, this post isn’t about that debate, which I know rages everywhere almost constantly.

I think you can get a good feel for how things used to be by checking out my Out of Box review for the Strombecker TT-1 Pinto. I picked this old bird up at the Hamilton Heritage Con in 2014, and I was instantly in love! Sure, it’s an oldie, but it’s a real winner in the feel-good department. If this is something from your childhood, I hope it brings fond memories. If it’s ‘before your time’, then it’s a great way to see where modelling has come from!

Enjoy!

http://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/142-strombecker-temco-tt-1-pinto-oob/
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 10:29 AM UTC
I really don't remember this kit from the 50's, but I do remember buying Hawk, Aurora,& Revell kits, all box scale for just a few dollars. Built everyone in a afternoon including decals. Wasn't allowed to cut parts with a knife, scissor, or a dangerous tool, so I use to just break the parts off the sprue tree then using real tube glue, glued the parts together.

Joel
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 12:14 PM UTC
I remember building kits that way too, but doing in in the '80s. I had Monogram and Revel kits, but a lot of them were early '70s.

They wouldn't hold up well today, of course, but man, it was a blast to start the day with parts and end up with a new airplane, eh?
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC
Strombecker originally made wooden kits. The parts would be pre-cut requiring the modeller to sand them into shape before gluing together. Small details like props would be made out of plastic and u/c legs were wire. To finish you would use some form of paint after first sealing the wood with something like sanding sealer or dope and talc. Decals were finally added to complete.

An unopened Strombecker wooden kit, B24, B29 etc, could be worth upwards of £250 ($450)
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
Yeah, I saw that Strombecker made wooden kits, and of more than just planes, too, it seemed! I think I saw some trains and stuff in their catalogue as well!

That's a lot of money for a wooden kit! I'll keep my eyes peeled for sure!

Didn't Strombecker merge with Tootsietoy eventually?

I'm surprised that Round 2 or another "vintage reissue" company hasn't gotten a hold of these moulds!

_GOTOTOP