_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman S2F Tracker
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 03:31 AM UTC
UPDATE: 7/6/14 GETTING GOING
This is my entry for the Grumman Campaign and I thought I would also keep a running build thread as to my progress.
The Hasagewa S2F Tracker has turned into a time machine, taking me back nearly 40 years; to the state of the hobby of the early 1970's. Back then the hobby was a lot simpler; most panel lines were raised, there was no resin, no PE, no washes to speak of, paints were enamels or Polly S for acrylics and the emphasis was on the basics – seams, paint, no decal flash and the all important finish. The vision for the build became clear; build the Tracker as I would have done back in the day: no upgrades, no PE, leave the raised panel lines, add simple home made seat belts and harnesses and go for the finish.
I'll be putting my faith in a 40 year old decal sheet but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The plastic, classic Hasegawa , crisp,light gray – smooth as silk and one reason why Hasegawa was always my favorite brand decades ago. Going through the parts, the molding are very good and the expected flash would need to be cleaned off some of the parts, nothing major, as the kit is 40 years old but not 40 year old molds.
The build started with the simple front office; easily done. Seat belts and harnesses were added, the center console painted black and the instrument panel was part of the fuselage halves. Lead weight was added to insure the Tracker wouldn't be a tail sitter, the sonar pod built up and modified a bit so it could be glued into place later on and then the two fuselage halves were glued up with Testor's Liquid Cement (No Tamiya Extra Thin back in the day). Once dry, I painted the IP black and followed up with the instrument panel decal; 5 plus minutes soaking in warm water, with a drop of dishwasher detergent and a few drops of Micro Set and the decals final came free from the backing … so far so good.
After a careful examination of the decal sheet, the stars and bars, US Navy, numbers and letters would need to be replaced as the clear carrier film and white colors had yellowed badly. As long as I could use the walk way, engine danger and tail decals, I could find my way.
The wings and tail feathers were glued up, taped tightly and left to dry overnight. Disaster struck as I dropped the left hand portion of the split canopy and for the life of me, I couldn’t find it. I spent two days looking for it, moving every box, cabinet in the model room, crawling on my hands and knees did little and went through every draw and the garbage can and still … NO go.. Last night at 11:59, the light bulb went off and I checked one last draw which I was sure wasn't open and low and behold: the lost canopy .. I was back in business.
Next up: attaching all the flying surfaces, engine assemblies and canopy. Right now, all the components are just being test fitted and one this is for sure: a lot of sanding and filler will be needed.
Thanks for checking in
Peter

Tools of the trade: masking tape, Testor's Liquid Cement and CCA.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 05:30 AM UTC
Pete,
Great start to a old kit, that's almost as old as you
Overall fit looks pretty good after you massaged the wing/fuselage joints. Thank goodness you found the other half of the windscreen glass, as the S2F-1 would look kind of strange with just half of a cockpit glass.

Of course I'll be following your build every step of the way.
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC
JA
Sow but steady and there isn't a good kit around older then me.
Bro
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Pete,
Have you started the engine nacelles yet? Seems to me that they were always an issue on Hasegawa multi-engine kits back in the days. And speaking of engines, you mentioned that you were considering AM replacements, have you gone that route, or just making due with the kit units?
Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 08:02 AM UTC
JA
Decided to go all OOB and use what ever Hasegawa supplied with the kit 40 years ago.
Bro
 _GOTOTOP