_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Coleman MB4 Build Blog
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 11:08 AM UTC
Hi. Here is a build blog of the VideoAviation Coleman Mb4 airfield tractor and it's associated tow bar, a sister post to the review which can be found here .
I'm just going to get right into it:

Like any model, a huge input into the realism here will be my ability to paint it properly. My hope is to make this tractor appear somewhat well used; so I'm going to employ the hair-spray and salt techniques as well as multiple color coats in enamel paint.
Hopefully, it all proves interesting enough. This really is quite a nice resin kit and deserves some attention in the hobby.
Ben
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 03:43 AM UTC

Ben
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 10:10 AM UTC

Now, before I go on, it is decision making time.
As it happens, this kit was a sample given to me with the intention I commit to doing a review and building the kit via a blog. I do wonder if that means the kit should be built OOB, or should I go ahead and build the way I see it.

The way I see it, is sitting in a vignette that would reasonably duplicate the scene in this photo:

Obviously, in order to duplicate the MB4 seen in the photo, drastic changes would have to befall the MB4 I'm working on. Seats would have to be replaced, interior parts added, and some definite butchery would have to happen. The cabs roof would have to come off and the fenders would have to be built. Being a mediocre modeller, I cannot scratch the rear wheel pictured properly, so the fine existing piece stays.

Comparing photos:

If I go the scratch-build route, everything I do will be based on careful study of that single photo, as there isn't a whole lot of info available to me. I've looked.

Anyway, I'll throw the question out to the AeroScale community:
a.) Build OOB, and get on with it.
b.) Build it the way I see it, in a possible future vignette.

I'll wait to see if there is some input before I proceed with doing either.
Ben
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ben,

A tough decision. If this is the kit sent to you for review, I lean towards OOB to demonstrate to potential customers what to expect.

Then again, the need to modify it to make it accurate, perhaps show folks what they might be getting into if they want an authentic model.

In the end, it will be on your shelf, and that's the defining factor for what to do.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ben,

A tough decision. If this is the kit sent to you for review, I lean towards OOB to demonstrate to potential customers what to expect.

Then again, the need to modify it to make it accurate, perhaps show folks what they might be getting into if they want an authentic model.

In the end, it will be on your shelf, and that's the defining factor for what to do.

Thank you for the interest, Fred. Actually, I found the input so overwhelming that I decided to build it OOB, and maintain the exact build of what a purchaser can expect. I've proceeded in this manner
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC

I know, it looks like a very confused clothes pin collection. The parts they cling onto, though, are well on their way to becoming something worthwhile.
The drive-train of this tractor was primed + Humbrol gloss black + Tamiya hull red. There has been considerable dry time with the enamel. Now, it will be salted and top-coated with Tamiya red/brown. I'm using the Tamiya over Humbrol as a Q-tip dipped in alcohol will rub the acrylic off some, for aging purposes.

If you can see it, there is gloss black enamel applied to the tread, with Tamiya nato black on the sidewalls. This is all top coated with Dullcote. The rims will receive a liberal wash over the enamel trainer yellow.

The tractor body itself requires installation of the transfer case before I can begin its paintwork.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 04:43 PM UTC
Just offering a small update.

tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi Ben
I like your build review format.
Keep up the good work.
squawkingnordo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
Since I just ordered this kit for myself I look on with great interest and am enjoying your build. Mine will be painted Olive Drab since that is how I remember them from my days as crew chief on both F-106's and F-4E's. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the completed project!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies fellas.

The main tractor body in this kit is so easy to put together, and it all fits fairly tight. Here are photos from primer to yellow enamel.
As can be seen, some further sanding is required on the yellow enamel in the hood area, and a more gentle application reapplied.

As I stated in my review, the seats are perfectly beautiful, just way too perfect. They look far too unrealistically new and unused, and they are not right. The information I have, is that they should be a padded tube frame outfit, and not something taken from the Jetson's residence.

Normally, I would solder my own seats with brass tube and use Milliput cushions. I should, at least, take a Dremel bit and knife blade to these. However, this is an OOB build review, so they get painted as is.

The dashboard is close to a mid-fifties tractor model, just not really quite right. I suppose I'll try careful dry-brushing in this case.

Til next time
 _GOTOTOP