_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Siemens-Schuckert a/c of WWI
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 03:53 AM UTC
The sound was almost a whisper. Sitting at my computer I heard the soft thump of a package being dropped off at my door. My postal-lady is so considerate as she knows this is my usual time for a mid morning nap. Now I had heard that Aeronaut was publishing a book on the Siemens-Schuckert aircraft of WWI and there it was in-front of me! Through the experienced hands of Jack Herris and his publishing team I was enjoying a right good read. In 208 pages I only found one error. And I was told today that they are already editing it for the next books.

The amazing and wonderful speed of desk top publishing. The really cool thing is that will only effect a small number of copies.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2015 - 04:05 AM UTC
Just a bit of background. Recent studies by research fiends like Messers Dick Bennett and Jack Herris has given us a much clearer picture of the months during Jan - May 1918. From 16 March to 18 May 1918 there were a total of 41 SSW D.III andf 1 SSW D.IV delivered to the front. 6 went to JG.III and the rest went to JG. II. I have them listed by serial number and batch if your interested. Instead of the 30 you quote there were only 20 ordered Dec 26, 1917 and 4 were ready for the 1st Fighter Competition duer to the availability of the Sh.III motor. The order of 30 came on 1 March 1918 then the next order of 30 came on 22 April, 1918. And on 23 April 1918 there was another order for 20 airframes. From May 7, 1918 through Oct. 1918 a further 360 were ordered (All SSW D.IV types) and Most were delivered. Some of these without engines. The Book by Jack Herris tells where these airframes were sent according to Siemens records. 44 airframes completed after the war were seen in the Freikorps and some sent to storage and later destroyed.
 _GOTOTOP