_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
ULTRA SMALL AIRCRAFT CANOPY PAINTING?
RaggedBrush
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC

I bought a 1:450 scale model of the carrier Akagi way back in the early 90's.

I just got around to pulling it off the shelf to begin the project.

What I need is some suggestions on how to paint (really simulate) the canopies on the 1:450 scale Zeros,Vals, and Kates. They will be on deck in the early war IJN gray scheme.

My first thought was to try a weak wash of silver acrylic to suggest the canopies.

I'm checking to see if any might have better suggestions that I might try.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Berwickboy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 450 posts
AeroScale: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC

How about an coat of Black or Dark Grey either in gloss or with a cover coat of gloss varnish. You could also try using a gel pen. I think Silver would look too toylike, but it's your choice. I suppose the ideal would be to try out these ideas and pick which suits you, after all, you can remove paint you don't like
RaggedBrush
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC
My thoughts too for the silver.That is mainly why I asked for other option ideas.

I do like your idea but maybe I'll try to overlay with a thin coat of ClearFix rather than gloss coat.

Yes it is true that it will be no problem to redo if the results are less than satisfactory. I have 22 of these tiny monsters to try and get to turn out looking realistic. They are like a kit within a kit. Micro wheels and propellers to glue on. 132 almost microscopic decals. More work than building and painting the ship really. I think these aircraft are why I put off doing the project for so many years.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 12:13 PM UTC
Seen from far away, aircraft canopies look dark, especially when you're looking down on them from above, as you'd be looking at the model on the shelf. Try a very dark grey. You can make it glossy to allow reflections.
 _GOTOTOP