_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A question about the Avro 504
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC
Recently, I stumbled upon a reference to a Bristol Titan, a 5 cylinder static radial, powered Avro 504.

That's all, just a mention with no photos, and since then, I've been trying to find out more, and have come up wanting.

While I know some about the 504, this variant I have never heard of.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Or is this more a wild goose chase than anything else?
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 01:01 AM UTC
hi, there's nothing mentioned in the windsock datafile that I can see. the engine was a late 1920's creation as far as I can tell.
that doesn't mean one wasn't used in a 504 as there were many different engines used....

paul
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 02:24 AM UTC
I did find this in Wikipedia:

504R Gosport

Reworked trainer with revised, lightweight structure. Five prototypes flown 1926 to 1927 with various engines (100 hp/75 kW Gnome Monosoupape, 100 hp/75 kW) Avro Alpha, 140 hp/104 kW Armstrong Siddeley Genet Major and 150 hp/110 kW) Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose), with the Mongoose chosen for production aircraft. Ten were sold to Argentina, with 100 more built by FMA under licence in Argentina. At least six were exported to Estonia, remaining in service until 1940, and an unknown number to Peru.[11]

But no mention anywhere about the Titan being used. Of course, a lot of the records around that time period have since been lost, and so I wonder if the Titan powered 504 was more a one-off than something which had some sort of production run(aircraft sent back to the manufacturer and modified, as has been done with many other aircraft types).

But, the reason I had asked is, after finding the mention of the Titan powered version(and unfortunately I have forgotten where), I scouted around to see if there was a resin Titan, which I found, in 1/72, and so started looking for a 504 model of the same scale, which I also found in Hannants, but in that case, there are several different versions, of the early and of the late model 504Ns, and so since then, I have been trying to find some sort of illustration or profile, or even a 3 view, which would give me an idea as to how to modify the model to fit the engine, and have found none of that.

I did find an article on 504s, which was not Windsock, but Air enthusiast, an article about Australian 504s, which also included a nice cutaway illustration.

So, at this point, if I wanted to do a kit mod, I'd be in the same boat as the pilot of the multi-engine transport after the engines fell off, I'd have to "wing it", which isn't really a hardship, but finding out anymore info on this would have been helpful, as well as enjoyably informative.

If and when I do decide to try this, I do have plenty of illustrations of the Bristol Jupiter Fighter(another project in the build queue), which give's me an idea as to how such a mod on the 504 would be undertaken.

And, upon reflection of this, why does it seem like I'm more Don Quixote, in that I've been gravitating toward one-offs and other obscure types and mods?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
Well, I finally found something that will be very helpful.

I should have gone to this site in the first place, but I guess I allowed myself to be snowed by lots and lots of other data, which is one of the pitfalls of the internet and not trying to be a lot more specific, which is kind of embarrassing.

Anyway, I found something in Flightglobal archive, and here is the first of the couple pages which tell the tale:

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1954/1954%20-%202063.html

On the page that follows this, there is a mention of the Titan, as well as which mark it was installed on, and exactly when.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 06:06 AM UTC
well done, at least you know which airframe to use now, personally I like the sound of the Bristol Lucifer.... bet it was a real devil to fly....

paul
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Well, I do get lucky on occasion.

What else did the Lucifer power?

The plane that I know of rather well, want to Chyeranskii BICh 7A, and that one flew rather well, and led the development of the BICh 14 sport plane, with two 1oohp M11 5 cylinder radials.

The 14 was just a scaled up 7A, and used the parabolic wing and didn't have a tail.
 _GOTOTOP