Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Camogirl's Typhoon Build
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 07:30 AM UTC
I know there will a few of these builds knocking about but decided to do a bit of a blog with mine. Im building one of mine out of the box with no extras and using kit decals (I plan on eventually doing the 2nd one of mine with some extra, airbrushed markings etc)

These 3 arrived today (2 are mine 1 is Tomcats) and I can not wait till after tea so I can crack the box lid open, get some sprue shots, read the instructions and dig out my Typhoon books. Hopefully further pics and who knows some progress will be made tomorrow if I can stop drooling over the plastic long enough.

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 08:01 AM UTC
welcome aboard Sam,
the more the merrier
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 08:32 AM UTC
Love the tiffie.

The shots I saw of the engine for this kit were amazing. I can't wait to see your progress shots.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 06:56 PM UTC
Nice one Sam, you may want a third kit to do it in flight Mine is moving along slowly, I have just started to paint the pilot
ejasonk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 10:16 PM UTC
I waaaaannnnt one! Can't wait for my local Shop to get them here. Love the stressed skin effect on the kit
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi Sam,

Glad to see you back on the "flight line"! I didn't know you were such a "Tiffy" fan. I look forward to your model.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Sam! Welcome back. Haven't seen you build anything in awhile.

Love the Typhoon myself, so I'll be following you right along with the two builds.
I'm already following Julian and Mal's builds, because, lets face it at $150.00 USD I ain't ever getting one.

Have fun
Later
squidgy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 05:35 AM UTC
i will be following this one closely , picked up 2 myself, do you have any issues with the canopies as both mine have cracks and dimples, sure airfix will sort it out, can't wait to see these started,

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi there

With people buying these two or three at a time, Airfix really have got a winner on their hands with this one!

I have to admit I will hold off - not because I don't want one (I do!! ), but time, space and prior modelling commitments just make this something to savour at a later date. By then, my efforts will probably be greeted with "Ohh - the Airfix Tiffie... yeah I remember it when it came out..." LOL! So, it's definitely going to be fun watching these first builds!

All the best

Rowan
boman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Sam! Welcome back. Haven't seen you build anything in awhile.

Love the Typhoon myself, so I'll be following you right along with the two builds.
I'm already following Julian and Mal's builds, because, lets face it at $150.00 USD I ain't ever getting one.

Have fun
Later

I got quoted $280.00NZ by my local hobby shop. Now as much as I want to support local business. That's kind of steep..
surgeon01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi Sam,
go, go, go ...
Looking forward to your bild.
greetings ro
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC
Thanks for all the comments. I have to admit full retail price was not paid for any of them. I got around 25% - 30% off each kit (the joys of parents working in the local hobby shop owned by their friend ) I do indeed like the Tiffy it is certainly in my top 5 all time favorites

It has been a while since doing any builds I had given up modelling the early part of last year I only picked up the tools again for doing a build for Russell's memorial campaign. I had such a good time building that little Hasegawa Tony OOB I decided to carry on with some other part started builds. Latest completed kit was a Tamiya Gecko for Hanger Queen.

Just so happened the Tiffy's arrived when my bench had been cleared up ready for the next build.

Onto the build well what can I say a clear bench and some reference material to start with this morning. Love the instruction manual What a wonderful kit, love the detail in it and can not wait to make a start on the engine.

I spent a fair amount of time filling and sanding injection pin marks yes I know they probably wont be visible when done but as its such a big kit I could not leave them as they were but thats just me at the moment. So really I spent many hours at the bench but not much to show for it but its worth it for this stunning kit I love it. There is a very little line/crack in the canopy but I think a quite micro polish and dip in Johnsons will sort it.

In the last pic I can assure you it is straight at 90 degrees as per the instructions it just got placed on the cutting mat

I have decided this one I am doing at the box art well as the squadron letter codes are CG I thought it was meant to be. Have decided when I eventually do the second one fully stripped down I will do the CG airframe again but in its role after Normandy and after its crash/forced landing after flak damage it was recovered and repaired and then used in a flight training school. The tail codes still the same but it lost the CG, became all over silver except the camo rudder.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 06:20 PM UTC
I will be starting to draw the camo pattern for this on Monday, to have a set of masks ready for Telford. This set will be at a discount and will consist of the camo masks and the roundels and fin flash. Codes and serials, of your choice will be done on request also at a discount and post free

Of course Sam, as a member of the Bulldogs I will do you a set for free (just for postage if you need them before Telford )
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 06:47 PM UTC
Mal thats wonderful Teford will be fine (unless I really get a rift on and will pm you) as Im not rushing it. I did say to Allen yesterday I was going to wait till after Telford to airbrush it as wanted to see what you would have ready for Telford
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 01:37 AM UTC
Post-war, MN666 was natural metal, not silver.
The C.O. of the OTU had it stripped of paint (as you say, apart from the rudder, and national markings) and used it to bounce pupils during training.
On the unit, it was known as the "Silver Bullet," and appeared as "SB" in some records; it should have carried under-wing serials, but, being the C.O.'s aircraft, maybe he was able to pull rank, so that I don't know.
Edgar
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 05:41 PM UTC
OK Sam, I received the Typhoon drawings from Richard Caruana yesterday so the 3 views are sorted. I will be taking my mum to the rail station this morning and spending some time in Penzanze then, this afternoon, I will be concentrating on the camo masks
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 03:40 AM UTC
Sam,
A nice start to a great kit. Will be following your build to its conclusion.

Egar, once again your knowledge is both amazing and helpful. Would hate to see a model of this size and complexity, incorrectly painted.
Joel
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
Pure luck, in this case; one of our club members used to see it fly over his house.
Edgar
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC
Thank you Mal . Thanks Edgar ive got that on a post it note and stuck it inside the other box. The silver bullet one wont be being done for several years so havnt done any real reserch apart from seeing the profile in a book and making a note thats the one I want to eventually build the info I mentioned was just under the profile in the book This blog build blog will be the camo CG plane supplied as a decal option with the kit built oob.
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
If this info has been posted before, forgive me. This might be of interest to you and any one else building the beast.

Saw this at Hyperscale:

"Hi,
I would like to announce the release of a set of photo-etched radiators for the 1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon.
These radiators represent the correct honeycomb structure of the real radiator and are an improvement on the "soft" detail featured on the kit parts. No modification of kit parts needed. The parts are made of stainless steel - coat them with a light spray of matt clear varnish and that will replicate the bare metal look of the real radiators.
For more information click here: http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_121&products_id=466

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=466

Thank you for your support,
Radu

www.radubstore.com"

Brian Riedel
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If this info has been posted before, forgive me. This might be of interest to you and any one else building the beast.

Saw this at Hyperscale:

"Hi,
I would like to announce the release of a set of photo-etched radiators for the 1/24 Airfix Hawker Typhoon.
These radiators represent the correct honeycomb structure of the real radiator and are an improvement on the "soft" detail featured on the kit parts. No modification of kit parts needed. The parts are made of stainless steel - coat them with a light spray of matt clear varnish and that will replicate the bare metal look of the real radiators.
For more information click here: http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_121&products_id=466

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=466

Thank you for your support,
Radu

www.radubstore.com"

Brian Riedel

Thanks for the tip Brian,
ordered a set today.
 _GOTOTOP