_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
A color question
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 12:29 PM UTC
Hypothetical situation.(but not really==))...

You want to paint the roundels on a Brit plane. You are up to the part you need to paint the blue. You go to the hobby shop and buy a jar of_______. Can someone fill in that blank?

If been tinting different blues with all sorts of stuff trying to get close to the blue on a WNW decal sheet. Is there n off the shelf color that comes close?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Greeting Marc. As far as colours go Ian Huntley's studies on the subject are, and always have been the real deal when it came to known colors. I may have one of his color notations on cockades. I could dig it up for you and send it along. Send me an email.

The short answer is Ultramarine blue.

". . .aircraft colors were subject to change (fading in this case, due to the effects of UV light), such as the early reds and blues of the RFC cockades, the formulations were changed to prevent this and VR2 and VB3 were almost totally resistant to such damage. . ."

Some decal makers only go with a dark or royal blue. Where the orthochromatic film of the day gives us the evidence it was more a medium value.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 01:02 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Stephen. Someone in my club recommended Vallejo Intense Blue. The tiniest drop of red in it was a pretty good match. At least WAY closer than I was getting trying to mix it myself. I will try to remember the Ultramarine Blue for the next time.

And an email is on the way too.
 _GOTOTOP