_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Whatever happened to Verlinden?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
I remember when their ill-fitting sets were always the go-to upgrade.

I assume they've been pushed out of the aviation space and focus on armor?

While we're at it, what the hell happened to Mission Models?
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
Verlinden were simply "a beast of their time" who failed to develop and compete with the current crop of resin manufacturers and companies who produce figures and conversion sets etc. today. Their 1/35 stuff was groundbreaking in it's day (1980's - mid 90's) but today and with one or two exceptions, the figures and conversion sets in their 1/35 range could not hold a light to those offered today by the likes of Alpine, Evolution, Tank, Ultracast, A.A, Resicast etc. to name but a few.

Likewise, a number of their 1/16 figs were (anatomically) awful - anyone who has seen the 'monkey arms' on their Battle of Britain RAF pilot will know what I mean - and again, just about all the current crop of figure manufacturers have exceeded and left them way behind in the distance.

That all said, Francois Verlinden was a visionary and he is, IMHO, the 'father' if you like of the plethora of aftermarket companies that we now enjoy in this golden age of model making.

So, we should all be greatful for that and I personally say "thanks" to him for some great memories of the days when owning Verlinden stuff meant you were a 'serious' model maker!

Gary
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 08:06 AM UTC
Still around.

http://www.verlindenonline.com/
ctdavis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
Antoni is certainly right in saying Francois was a pioneer in the field. However we used to laugh and say "Verlinden" was Flemish for "Does not fit"! but all in good fun.
Cliff
EHAM0624
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 200 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That all said, Francois Verlinden was a visionary and he is, IMHO, the 'father' if you like of the plethora of aftermarket companies that we now enjoy in this golden age of model making.

So, we should all be greatful for that and I personally say "thanks" to him for some great memories of the days when owning Verlinden stuff meant you were a 'serious' model maker!

"Hear, hear"
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know they're still around, I was more asking why you never hear about anything they make and why no one seems to use them for anything anymore. Gary answered with what I figured the problem was.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 02:22 PM UTC
Mission Models closed, I have been stocking up with what I can find on Ebay.

Cheers Rob.
shuber57
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2014 - 12:19 AM UTC
I thought I saw some new releases for them not too long ago. I think they have mainly been doing resin armor accessories. As stated above they just did not adapt to the times. Their PE detail is very basic. I remember using their Tiger set on my first effort at super detail. Clamps were simply a PE folded box. There was some really nice resin in the set but the PE was nothing compared to ABER and this was when ABER was a brand new company.

One thing Verlinden had and has going for it is they are really diverse covering Civil War and other periods besides just WWII. I remember seeing a lot of neat looking Civil War artillery and things from them.
TankSGT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
AeroScale: 53 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 09:51 AM UTC
I still have several of his books. As a soldier i would look in wonder at all the unsecured weapons laying around in his dioramas and enough loose gear to stock 5 vehicles secured by magic on one vehicle. Never a strap or rope in sight.

That being said he was still an inspiration in those dark ages.

Tom
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 01:32 PM UTC
All I can remember is the peculiar stink of their resin.

Why did Mission Models close? Anyone know the story?
 _GOTOTOP