_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
A question about the McD 500D
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 05:52 AM UTC
I am in the process of putting together a fairly old kit of the Hughes/McD 500D. and have a question about the bulkheads.

I have the Academy 1/48 kit, and got the CMK interior kit. While it is coming long fairly well, I would like to know if there are any photos or diagrams available of the bulkheads, especially the one the pilot and copilot seats are against. On the reverse side of that are a couple, what look like cushions, but there is no way to tell how they are oriented.

I've been doing a number of Google searches for the interior, and have lots of different instrument panels and partial shots of the two front seats, but little more than that.

Foolishly, I began this build before I was able to collect enough information on this, so now I'm kind of stuck.
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hi Max,
Try here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hughes+500+interior&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source%7D&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CqnlU7TWO8PxoASrhYLACQ&ved=0CBsQsAQ&biw=1120&bih=737

Cheers Rob.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
I appreciate that.

I found that page before, and went all the way down to the bottom, and couldn't find it.

What I'm kind of stuck on is the rear of the bulkhead that supports the two front seats, that part that faces the rear seats. In the CMK kit, there are two, I guess they are cushions, attached to where the rear passengers heads would be when they are seated.

However, as I was scrolling, I noticed that the cyclic stick doesn't look like what the CMK kit has, and the same with the collective sticks.

And, as I lost one of the cyclic sticks to the hungry rug monster(the carpet is the same color as the resin), I found that .030 rod is the same diameter as the remaining cyclic, and found that with careful teasing and bending, the same shape can be achieved, the handle being shaped .040 rod, with a small bit of card on the end, and built up, looks a lot closer to what the photos show.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 05:21 AM UTC
Can you possibly post photos of the instructions and the parts in question? I'm having difficulty picturing what they may look like from your description.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
I'm not sure how to post pics from the web, but I did find CMK's site, and there is a diagram of the interior kit for the Hughes 500D. However, one step is missing, and is the assembly of the front bulkhead that holds the two front seats, because on the side opposite the seats, are the two little cushions, or whatever they are, which are attached in around the same level as the pilots' heads.

http://www.1001modelkits.com/aircraft/56312-hughes-md-500d-interior-set-for-police-and-civil-versions-designed-to-be-used-with-academy-kits-.html

Thing is, I just want to get the orientation right, as there each end, the top and bottom, are different one end looking like a bolster of some kind with dimples, and other end just a plain bolster.

In the kit, both parts are listed as Pur 10.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 01:59 PM UTC
The part I'm not understanding is that behind the pilots' heads there is no bulkhead. It's open from about the tops of the seats right to the cabin roof with the exception of the centre pillar. Lower down on the bulkhead are a couple of pouches/pockets similar to what you find on the seat in front of you on your holiday airliner. Perhaps that's what those pieces are?
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC
This does not help?

Cheers Rob.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
Yes, that helps.
That's angle of view that I've been looking for.

What it in the pic is not what the parts look like, but, thinking more on it, they might be more long the lines of some kind of pouch, say, something that holds information cards, or something similar.
 _GOTOTOP