_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Buildiing resin props?
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 01:17 PM UTC
Just wanted ask you guys for tips regarding how to build resin propellers. To be more specific how to get them in level and not pointing in all different locations.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to build a Swedish Mosquito in 1/48 scale, and this includes a set of 4 bladed props from Paragon. And since these are virtually impossible to come by now a days, I don't wanna screw things up.

So all your thoughts and ideas about this are more then welcome!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 03:00 PM UTC
I'd recommend that you build yourself a jig out of cardboard. Take a piece of cardboard larger than the final diameter of the propeller and draw a 90 degree cross on it. Where the lines cross is where the hub goes. You can drill a hole and glue in a piece of sprue which fits into the back of the spinner to hold it in place (unless the back of the spinner has a peg on it, and then you'll just need the hole). Cut 4 small triangles (they must be identical) to set the angle of the blades and glue them carefully in place, one on each line leading out from the spinner. These will set the pitch of the propeller blades and help to keep them in position as the glue sets. Use small strips of masking tape to keep each blade and the spinner in place.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
Properller alignment templates to download Here:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/198148&page=1
RolyPoly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 38 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wanted ask you guys for tips regarding how to build resin propellers. To be more specific how to get them in level and not pointing in all different locations.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm about to build a Swedish Mosquito in 1/48 scale, and this includes a set of 4 bladed props from Paragon. And since these are virtually impossible to come by now a days, I don't wanna screw things up.

So all your thoughts and ideas about this are more then welcome!

Since the original kit props are usually in evidence, i build these and use them as a template for my resin props. It works pretty well to get the correct angle of attack on the blade, spacing etc. It's basically a 'comparison' exercise.
 _GOTOTOP