_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airbrushing Tamiya Fine Primer
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 03:23 PM UTC
Has anyone else ever decanted Tamiya Fine Light Grey Primer for airbrushing? I filled a mixing jar with the stuff and am wondering what to thin it with for airbrushing. Tamiya lacquer thinner with the yellow cap? X-20A? White spirits? Turpenoid? I am leaning towards the lacquer thinner but thought I'd check to see what others use.
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC
not trying to be funny but I would (and do) just use it straight from the can, far too much hassle for the same finish...
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 12:16 AM UTC
I tried that, it goes on too heavy for my taste.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 01:06 AM UTC
Paul,
The Tamiya Fine Gray Surface Primer either in a rattle can, or from the bottle is lacquer based. It thins perfectly with their Yellow cap Lacquer Thinner, which is much milder then the regular LT you buy at a Home Improvement Center.

Any reason why your decanting the rattle can rather then just using it from the bottle? I thin it 1:1 and apply it at approx. 12-14 psi. Flows smooth as silk.

Joel
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
I am just not a fan of rattle cans; I prefer the control my airbrush gives me. I've tried it with several different paints, including the Tamiya primer. I am just not as satisfied with the can vs. an airbrush. I am sure others have had great success, just not me.

EDIT: Doh! now I see what you meant Joel. I need more coffee. I bought what they had available, the HS didn't have it in the bottle. Just a rattle can.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 03:09 AM UTC
Paul,
I always keep an extra bottle just in case. I even have a rattle can when I just have one or two little parts to prime.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC
Paul! I have thoroughly understood your opinion on the subject of rattle-can vs airbrush but there is one trick that could be worthy of a trial before giving it up forever !

I am a great fan of rattle-can primers but as you write, they tend to go on a bit on the heavy side. One trick to avoid this is to put the can in hot tap water (TAP water, not from the kettle!) for ten minutes. The heat will make the paint flow better, go on a lot smoother and the higher pressure in the can will make it spray a lot better.

I've used this method both for Tamiya's grey and "Fine White" primer as well as for various Games Workshop primers and it works really well even on my tiny preferred 1/72 and 1/144 scale builds!

Magnus
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:24 AM UTC
I may have to try that Magnus, thanks! I have several rattle cans of assorted paint, and decanting is a p.i.t.a. not to mention I am running out of mixing jars. Honesty I wish Tamiya would just offer all of their colors in jars. I have no idea why they chose to offer some only as rattle cans.

I have been spraying the decanted fine primer thinned 1:1 with Tamiya lacquer thinner (the yellow cap stuff), so far it has worked perfectly. I think I will just make it a point to order some bottled primer from Scalehobbyist and make sure I always have a supply.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 02:46 AM UTC
Paul,
Since you're going to be ordering some primers. I've just tested Gunze Sangyo Mr.Primer Sealer 1,000 thinned 1:1 with Tamiya LT primer. The results were spectacular. Smooth as silk, no covering even the most delicate details.

So now it's my main primer where there is very little putty work. When I have those situations, I'll prime with good old Tamiya Primer.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP