_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Sea Vixen question
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
I expect this has been asked before, but I can't find it so here goes.

I just got Airfix's 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW2, an excellent kit as has been talked about in the various reviews. I noticed it was getting rather difficult to find here in the States so I figured it was now or never, and as I have this FAA campaign going on, well...

Anyway, I'm looking over the directions and note that Airfix would have us paint the observer's canopy/hatch matt black. I can understand that the observer is a radar operator and needs to cut glare, but the hatch is molded clear. Anyone know if it's correct to paint it black and, if so, why did they mold it in clear only to paint over it?

I'm looking forward to starting this thing soon so any suggestions would be very welcome!

Michael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 11:58 AM UTC
I wondered about that myself when I got one.
I just had a a quick look at some pics I have in the book 'De Havilland Twin Booms' by Adrian Balch. It does indeed look like it was blacked out on the inside. Crews didn't call it the coal-hole for nothing A couple of photo's seem to show what might be a screen on the inside, although they're dark and not too clear.
Maybe some digging about on google might reveal more.

Hope this helps.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC
Michael this may help, THIS is a walk around I did when the kit first came out however I neglected to take any of the inside of the hatch open but one photo does show it closed and the glazed part black.

Hope it's of some help.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 01:20 PM UTC
Luciano,

Nice walkaround! Unfortunately the only photo showing the hatch is from the side and therefore not really clear; though it sure seems to be black.

Anyone know if this was standard or something just on this aircraft? And was it a screen or was the outside of the hatch painted black?

Michael
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 01:24 PM UTC
Try THESE Michael, there is a photo of the inside of the hatch
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC
Jackpot! Thanks Luciano!

Michael
ljames0874
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 408 posts
AeroScale: 365 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wondered about that myself when I got one.
I just had a a quick look at some pics I have in the book 'De Havilland Twin Booms' by Adrian Balch. It does indeed look like it was blacked out on the inside. Crews didn't call it the coal-hole for nothing A couple of photo's seem to show what might be a screen on the inside, although they're dark and not too clear.

I have the same book, and can confirm this. On operational Sea Vixens, it was standard practice to paint the window matt black from the inside. The FAW.1 I built a while back was in RN Test Sqn colours, and didn't have the windows painted out, nor does the remaining air worthy FAW.2, which is the one that until recently flew in "Red Bull" livery. I am looking forward to your build Michael, it looks a monster ok a kit!
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 07:46 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, we'll see!

Lee, actually base on the photo at Luciano's link, it looks like it was painted black outside. I'm guessing it depended on the squadron as it seems to have been done at the operational level.

Michael
 _GOTOTOP