Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P26 Peashooter
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:35 AM UTC
Getting ready to break out the Hobbycraft P26 peashooter, 1/48. I noticed some interesting paint schemes of aluminum and blue, also the standard OD+neutral grey.....

Was this plane used alot?, any good as a fighter?...I dont even see any guns?

Any info is great

Thanks
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
propboy44256 - believe it or not from 1935 - 1939 this was the Army Air Corps Front Line Fighter, deployed in the continental US Hawaii and Panama. It was amed 2 machine guns ( early models 2-30 cal. later 1-30 and 1-50 cal mounted in the cowl just forward of the cockpit (not even shown in most kits). They were exported to Spain, China and the Philippines. They were the first "all metal" Pursuit aircraft made for the Army. Most never left March Field in California, but some did see combat against the Japanese in China and the Philippines. It is reported the first aircraft victory against the Japanese was by a P-26, but they were out classed by the time they were needed. You must remember at the outbreak of WW2 the US military was ranked 18th in the world behind Paraguay.

All this said it's a neat little bird I've built many times. As my one reference puts it, "It has an unexplained fame."
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:49 AM UTC
As CRS stated they carried two machine guns. Look at the instructions and you will see them mounted on either side of the cockpit floor. The P-26 was also used by several countries in Central America. I believe the example now at the Air Force Museum came from Guatemala.

They can be painted in either blue fuselage and yellow wings or OD and yellow wiings for USAAC aircraft - check references.

The P-26 is one of my favorite aircraft.

Jeff
Mitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hey, I've actually seen a pretty interesting paint scheme for a P-26, it's on an aircraft on display at Wright Patterson Airforce Base, pretty cool, well at least in my opinion, heres a pic: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey13d.htm

Not sure if its your cup of tea, but I thought it looked pretty sweet
BlueBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey, I've actually seen a pretty interesting paint scheme for a P-26, it's on an aircraft on display at Wright Patterson Airforce Base, pretty cool, well at least in my opinion, heres a pic: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/early_years/ey13d.htm

Not sure if its your cup of tea, but I thought it looked pretty sweet

Snazzey!
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
Not to be a color fanatic, but the references I've seen for that AC show a much darker blue. I'll look around tonight and see if I can dig any up and scan you a couple.
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
I agree, refernece Ive found show a medium or true blue MM color
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:06 PM UTC
I couldn't find the pics I was looking for, including those I took at Dayton in 1996 or so. If I find them, I'll get them to you.
 _GOTOTOP