_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Glossy Interiors? on plywood aircraft.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 11:01 AM UTC
Varnish OR shellac when it dries is usually a high gloss, especially clear in the days of WWI. Would not the interior of the Walfisch or Albatros be glossy? maybe scuffed but mostly gloss?

In the engine compartment the black staining would be oily and thus also or more glossy?

Can anyone answer these questions? It would be the difference between flat and semi-gloss in model world. 1/32 Hannover

I am trying to download some Smithsonian photos don't seem to be doing well. They will come... soon?

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 - 03:40 PM UTC
Plywood was usually 2 to 3 layers thick. Aircraft grade was usually A/A or A/B. The "A" was the outer surface and was designated such and sanded with a fine grit. The inner surface "A" or "B" grade was the interior exposed surface and it was not sanded so smooth. It would tend to soak up more varnish and as such be less glossy in its finish. Remember this varnish or shellac was not added at the factory until it was ready to apply to the airframe / skeletals.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would not the interior of the Walfisch or Albatros be glossy?

Hi Tom

The photos in the Windsock datafile for the Walfisch show what looks like pale matt-painted interior (disappointing for me a good many years ago after I'd so carefully wood-finished my 1:48 Eduard kit! ).

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC
Thank you All.

This helps quite a bit.

Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP