_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
HELP- Basic Stupid mistake
Lonners
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 10:52 PM UTC
Can anyone help?

After about 25 yrs I'm returning to modelling as my son is just old enough to get into it, bought a Tamiya 1/48 Vought F4U-1A Corsair (61070) as it's one of my favourite planes.

Now for the dumb bit, somehow/somewhere I've lost the front engine cowl part!!! (Told you it was dumb) I've searched the entire house and interrogated the wife/kids but no joy. Looking for alternatives I came across theTrue Detail 48552 cowl & prop which is for the Hobby boss kit & later plane but is the only one I can find. However I can't find one in stock anywhere in UK.

I know it's a popular kit and one people like to modify so does anyone have this part or know of a suitable replacement that will work with the tamiya kit & is currently in stocks?

Thanks for any help or advice offered (other than the obvious - don't lose parts! )
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 11:06 PM UTC
Try The Aviation Megastore.

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
The Vector Parts are fabulous. For the cowling check out http://www.ultracast.ca/products/Vector/48%20Scale/VDS48-047/default.htm.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 12:33 AM UTC
Did you try asking Tamiya? It's not uncommon to ask for a replacement part to a kit.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
I would try Paul's suggestion and get in touch with the European offices of Tamiya. I'm sure that they get a ton of requests for missing or broken parts. Some times there is a charge for parts and shipping.

I had a similar experience when I built the GWH TBD-1 Devastator, as the kit engine cowling wasn't in the box. I got in touch with their parent company: Lion Roar, who sent me from China a replacement once I furnished them with the panel that contained the name and model number from the box. Also Guido, their European rep sent me a cowling.

If Tamiya can't help, then you can search ebay for the best deal on the kit. Sometimes open kits go for a lot less then sealed kits or open kits with trees still in their sealed plastic sleeves.
Joel
Lonners
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2014 - 11:13 PM UTC
Thank you for the replies chaps , I've emailed the UK Tamiya agent Hobbyco and fingers crossed they'll be able to help

I sat down last night to try out detailing the cockpit with some of the hints & tips I've recently read and really enjoyed it. God bless the internet, never knew of dry brushing, pledge Klear or getting the correct inside/outside colour on the canopy when I was a lad

my wife may be somewhat less impressed with the hours i'll be spending in the man cave but at least me and the eldest will be quiet
Lonners
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 01:23 AM UTC
Big up to Hobbyco, received email replay and the replacement is going in the post
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Big up to Hobbyco, received email replay and the replacement is going in the post

There you go. How about posting a few pictures of your build to date.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP